Jump to content

My turf scrubber


mFrame

Recommended Posts

Work begins, I'll start with a picture of parts and add some details as I go:

Mix of 3/4" and 1" pvc, some great waterproof external light sockets, and c clamps

gallery_884_135_35379.jpg

$7 dry box from academy

gallery_884_135_17336.jpg

The plug I'll use for the lighting

gallery_884_135_800.jpg

Closeup of the weatherproof sockets

gallery_884_135_9898.jpg

8x11" screen from hobby lobby, 89 cents

gallery_884_135_4201.jpg

Screen cut in half with a paper cutter for my two screens

gallery_884_135_49815.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Construction starts:

holes drilled for water intake

gallery_884_135_11371.jpg

Piece together water intake (not glued yet)

gallery_884_135_7387.jpg

Water intake and how it will fit with the algae screens

gallery_884_135_24298.jpg

Holes drilled for lighting

gallery_884_135_32649.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Progress continues:

decided I'd need a 3rd light:

gallery_884_135_13296.jpg

gallery_884_135_34207.jpg

gallery_884_135_9525.jpg

gallery_884_135_23618.jpg

drain hole:

gallery_884_135_25621.jpg

gallery_884_135_5509.jpg

gallery_884_135_4799.jpg

screen assembly:

gallery_884_135_18773.jpg

gallery_884_135_35310.jpg

gallery_884_135_12913.jpg

attached (use slip connections to lid for easy removal and cleaning)

gallery_884_135_6089.jpg

gallery_884_135_12896.jpg

gallery_884_135_3644.jpg

gallery_884_135_2485.jpg

all finished but the wiring:

gallery_884_135_40563.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ended up modifying and swapping some of the pieces used for installation, I'll post a final parts list, cost, and picture of the unit with a plug on it. Hope this gives some of you ideas....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

I've been running a really simple one in my sump since August, and my nitrates and phosphates have been at 0 for a long time now. They're fairly easy to maintain, I take the screen off and run it under tap water once a week or so. Sometimes, the algae will grow up into the screen and you'll get a little spraying, but it's really easy to hear when that's happening. That's the only real PITA I've noticed with them. I set this up on day 1 with a new tank and never really had any algae outbreaks with it.

Any updates on this, Mike? Is it in use? Effective at nutrient export? How is it for maintenance (ie how often do you scrape the screens)? Etc...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure. The CFLs make the light look a lot more yellow in the pics than they look to the eye. I believe they're 2700k lamps, and I replace them every 3 months. This is a very basic DIY job, just a simple PVC frame, with the top slit about 1/8 of an inch that I cut with a Dremel. Screen is plastic canvas that you can get at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. roughed up a bit with some sand paper. It's held in place with plastic shower curtain rings. I didn't need to use these until the screen started growing thicker algae, which got kind of heavy. For my next scrubber build, I want to make it easier to remove for cleanings and to put the scrubber inside of a clear acrylic box so that if it does spray anything, it doesn't really do any damage.

post-1019-12667785466623_thumb.jpg

post-1019-12667785614851_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 years later...

Nice write up Mike.

Here is my ATS.

post-1271-0-60104000-1393278617_thumb.jpg

I have 2 daylight cfl bulbs on it although I've been meaning to go to a lower spectrum. This is just a scuffed up knit pad with 2 pvc pipes laid over the refugium section. This was recently cleaned so I'll update it when I get more. This design allows me to easily clean it by rolling it in half and pulling it out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...