Anyone using HW salt

fishypets

Anyone use this salt? I'm looking for actual readings on the following at 1.026

CA

KH

MG

K+

And if you like it or don't like it. So far I don't like the price but everything else looks to be on track with what I need it to do.

Never heard of it? I believe most salts are mfg'd by just a few companies. I'm willing to bet that since they all say, "No phosphates no nitrates"...that any of the majors is fine. I've used many and now stick with "Coralife". Why? I don't know?....works great, not too expensive.

What I'd like to know is, "What do most of the Worlds aquariums, e.g.: Seaworld, Moody Gardens, whatever, use? That would be interesting!

hw is the lab that makes Tunze salt. Supposedly identical to natural sea water- check it out.

"hw Sea Salt professional is a synthetic sea salt enriched with trace elements, bio-elements and protective colloids.

It guarantees the purest seawater for professional reef aquariums and successful breeding in seawater aquaristics. hw Sea Salt professional is purer then nature can provide. It is virtually identical to natural sea salt and contains all positive constituents of natural seawater in a natural composition. hw Sea Salt professional is free from harmful impurities as they can unavoidably occur in nature and often find their way into home aquariums."

See!!! I don't think any of us knows why? All are good or they wouldn't be on the market as long as they have. Everyone has a fav...

Here is a great link for salt comparisons:Salt Mix Comparison

I've seen that before but the part I don't understand is the last graph. Unless I am misreading it, it shows that all brands are high in nitrates, phosphates, and ammonia. What am I missing?

There is a lot more to the article on Salt Comparison listed here:

Comparison Continued

The Composition of Some Synthetic Seawater Mixes

Comparison Table of Primary Elements in Some Top Brand Name Sea Salt Mixes

To help you easily compare the differences between essential elements contained in some of the top brand name sea salt mixes sold on the market, we compiled this quick reference elements comparsion table based on actual test results that were conducted by the Hawai'i Institute of Marine Biology reported in Marlin Atkinson and Craig Bingman's "The Composition of Some Synthetic Seawater Mixes" article published in the March 1999 issue of Aquarium Frontiers Magazine, and in reference to other Web resources.

I use Red sea Pro. i like it. i get good reading with it my calcium has never stayed over 400 with IO witch i used to buy mixed from the LFS. not to mention it mixes fast and i havent seen and let over residual in the buckets after the mix. i have heard some salt brands will leave this white residue. also when using the LFS IO mixed i was having a diatoms problem but i think that was from the ro they used.. Red Sea has been the only brand i have mixed myself. its pretty decent price for the salt and its a good salt ill stay with it. i know their are many choices out their. i have heard some people are completely in love with Tropic Marine..

I used HW for a couple years and wasn't impressed. The mix was deficient in several areas, mostly calcium. I also tried the sister mix made by Tunze and received even worse results. I'm currently using BioSea by Aquacraft and have noticed an improvement. I'd like to use Marine Environment by Aquacraft, but the mix only comes in large batch slurry quantities. Don't let their packaging graphics fool you...it's kind of like judging a book by its cover.

To answer someone's question about where to buy hW, AquaTek sells it as well as Tunze. As far as I know no Austin locations sell Aquacraft salt. You have to call to place the order.

Salt I've used in my years of reef keeping:

IO

Red Sea

Oceanic

hW

Tunze

BioSea