Ich on my Tang

chrisfowler99

At least I'm pretty sure it's Ich (is that pronounced "Ick" or "Itch"?).

There was a little white spot on the end of the dorsal fin the other day. Two more appeared on the tail fin and then one appeared on the side last night.

I noticed too late last night to be able to do anything.

Do I need to quarantine? Or do I need to work on the diet?

I don't see anything on any of the other fish, yet...

If you can quarantine it you can treat with a cooper base medication like Coopersafe. Make sure you are not running any kind of filter media or live rcok. I put a large peice of pvc in the QT to give it a hiding place. I would also treat the food with Kent's Garlic Xtreme. DO NOT TREAT THE MAIN TANK with coopersafe or any ich medication!

I have had luck just adding the GX to the food while the infected fish was in the main tank. I have 4 tangs.

Dave-

dont pull out the fish. Just keep him eating a lot. I have 4 tangs and they get ich from time to time. I have never taken any of them out. just make sure that there is some algae on a clip for him to graze on all day. I try to feed 3-4 times a day if i am having an ich issue and it usually goes away in a day or two

dapettit,

I just noticed my Hippo and Purple tang have ich as well - and both these fish are several years old. I add garlic to the recipe I use for my Fishy Mix. Do you think I should add more garlic to the cubes (I normally let melt in my hands in the tank as I feed) and feed more till it goes away? I normally feed 1 cube in the morning and two at night, and that's with a 200 gal tank and 15 (most small) fish.

Stephen

Not sure what other fish you have, but the last time I had ich on my powder brown tang my sixline wrasse and cleaner shrimp worked on it for a long time before the ich finally went away. My tang always kept eating though, which like mentioned above seems to be a big step in winning.

I'll have to check, but yes, I think so (its in the little eyedropper, right?). Does it lose potency after a while. What I used on the last batch of Fishy Mix had been unopened but was pretty old.

Stpehen

Everybody is eating well. I'm just wondering if I am feeding enough now. Recently added 3 fish (2 little Blue Chromis and a Fairy Wrasse), so maybe they are stressed with the new additions and I'm just not feeding enough for everyone now.

Stephen

I went downstairs and checked, and yes it is Kent Garlic Extreme. I read the back and did some quick calculations. I made 10 trays of Fishy Mix, each tray has 35 cubes, so that's 350 cubes. I feed 3 cubes a day split in two feedings a day. The bottle says not to feed MORE than 2 drops per feeding. I think I used around 100 - 150 drops in the mix (figure closer to a 100).

So...figuring 2 drops per feeding, and roughly 2 cubes per feeding, that would be around 200 drops? So probably wouldn't hurt to let the cubes melt and add an extra drop to each feeding, or would you suggest more?

Stephen

OK, I'll start feeding 2X2 cubes a day to make sure everyone is getting enough, and make sure I give them some seaweed every day too. Hopefully it will pass. I would really hate to loose these guys. They have been fine and healthy for several years.

Stephen

I have two cleaner shrimp...up until yesterday they avoided the tang. I noticed yesterday that they were back out and several times saw them attempt to clean the tang.

I also noticed that two of the four spots on the tang were gone.

So the cleaner shrimp could be helping with that. The tang also looked "calmer", but that could just be me seeing things.

Boy, getting the cleaner shrimp is one of those slap my head - Duh's. It's amazing how the obvious goes right by you sometimes even if you have been doing this awhile. I'll be calling around today to see who has any.

My question is, should I get one or two?

Stephen

I picked up two this afternoon, have the acclimating now. I hope this turns out okay. One of my larger fairy wrasses has been butting the bag like he wants to attack them. This has never been a problem before, but its been awhile since I've had any.

Stephen

Archived