Limpets on my plastics

Zarathustra2

On the last reef cleaners group order I picked up about 5 limpets as they remind me of the tide pools in southern california. Figured I would see them scooting on the glass. However, to my suprise they have all decided to hang out on the plastic rim of my tank. One has been in the same spot since I got them several weeks ago. I tried to move the little guy but he is still firmly attached and according to the RC website moving them when attached will hurt them.

Has anyone here kept limpets? Is this normal behavior? Won't he dry out/die from starvation. I'm asking because another on of them moved from the back compartments to another spot on the plastic rim. Also a bit worried that he might be thinking the plastic is algae and be eating it, therefore dieing.

http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=5&category_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=34

It is perfectly normal. They are protecting their soft bits from predators. By placing themselves between a 90 degree rim they are protected on 2 sides with less of a chance of a predator being able to slip under their shell and prying them off.

I know they hunker down but one is on top of the rim and the other is on the outside of the rim. Both are in areas that recieve no water ever which was my concern.

I think I will mail john too just to see if he has input.

I placed 5 limpets in my tank several months ago. All of them have congregated in one little spot on the plastic false wall at the water line, and haven't moved since. Not really sure what they are doing, but I they seem to be doing fine. I would be interested to know what John has to say about the issue.

Finally (after they are still there) sent a message off to John. He got right back to me with an interesting answer.

sounds like they might be hibernating. You can pluck them off but it is difficult to do so without injuring the animal. Still, give it a shot, you should move a credit card or similarly shaped bject perpendicular to its shell. Splashing a little water first helps. Be firm, but overly so. Let me know how that works for you, after removing them place them down on a rock with a little gentle pressure on their back.

I'll give this a shot this weekend just to see what happens with one of them. The other I've gotten pretty used to being where he is so not sure if I want to move him.

Love ReefCleaners. Plan on all my CUCs coming from there.

Archived