closed loop or not

don duncan

maybe Im thinking about this tank to much.

So I have a 215 brick that I will be setting up.

I am trying to explore all options before it is set up.

What would you suggest. Closed loop or not.

I already have a wavebox and korilla 4 powerheads. The tank is not drilled for a closed loop.

I plan on doing a closed loop for my 90 when it gets put together. I like the control and look of it with a canopied tank on the tanks I have seen with them installed. I also want to have the tank kinda split in half with one flow on one side (say around 15-20x) and the other side have about 5-10x. I think doing this with two independent CLMs, each with 4x nozzles pointed at each other for turbulent flow will be the best way.

Dont do the closed loop! Its not worth it..... You have the wavebox and PH's already. If you drill it may break... It will also cost you more to run the large pump over the equipment you have now. Plumbing is a pain. You WILL have dead spots. Its just not worth it unless you are building something HUGE. JMO

Dustin

You can do it as an over hang situation but reccomended is to have a drilled point in the aquarium. You can also have the pump in your tank using a high end submersable pump.

Calfo's original writeup with a lot of FAQs is available on wetwebmedia.

http://wetwebmedia.com/pbh2oret.htm

FAQ links are at the top of the page.

IMO I wouldnt use a CL on a smaller tank. Its just a pain to drill all the hole and taking a chance with thin glass. Also If I were to have a CL I would want to be able to drill the bottom..... Good luck finding a tank without a tempered bottom. A CL is also a pain when it come to aquascaping. If the tank was going to be Large and Inwall I could see using a CL, but on this setup I think you will be happy with the wavebox and a couple powerheads.JMO. Also if you look at alot of CL tanks you will find they are using PH's, wavebox's, and vortechs......

Dustin

cracking would be my fear. Jakes closed loop cracked between the drill holes in the bottom a RCA. it happends that easy. i dont know if they ever found out why. i dont think i would risk it..

Archived