New guy -- new aquarium

capty99

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://anythingsaltw...mer-p-1560.html

is this a good buy for me?

Several reviews on that skimmer say horrible things. They are extremely hard to initially tune, to keep tuned, and the little bubble pads have to be replaced frequently. I had one for a nano I used to have and could never get it to work right. I wouldn't recommend it.

its just a 10g tank right? why dont you get a 5g container and a small overflow and make a sump? it would give you 5g more total water volume witch would be good. and you can put a decent skimmer in the sump. i have seen 5g square containers. i bet you could find one at the container store that you can put smaller containers into and you wouldnt have to mod anything.. you could dump it right down into the sump and pump it right back out after the skim. thats what i would do. specialy because of the 5g more total volume.. As for nano skimmers i havent heard anything about them. could you make a biocube or jbj nano skimmer work?

Yeah i was afraid any sort of skimmer was going to take up 1/3 of my tank. The position my tank is in doesn't have any space for a sump right now so I was wanting to avoid it if possible. I may see how natural filtration does for a little while with real regular water changes. If I do get a sump I'll probably go for a 20 gallon DIY that could later get used on a bigger tank but I haven't thought that far out just yet.

I was going to recommend Sapphire Aquatics skimmers, because they had posted on nano-reef that they were working on a hang-in skimmer. But I don't see it on their store.

I had good luck with my AP24 skimmer when I had my 24g Aquapod.

I was also going to recommend a Sapphire aquatics skimmer, but I cannot find the HOB version either. I would give the guys down there a call and find out if the HOB is available yet.

I have the aqua c remora hang on back and really like it in my setup. Very small footprint, very few bubbles and it is an effective skimmer. They make a nano version that I am sure would be fine for this application.

I'll show you when you get a chance to stop by for the salinity test.

• 2 weeks later...

OK -

finally got my light set up on. its fugly due to the fact that i messed it up about 15 times but thats what happens when people 'borrow' your power tools and your left using scraps. :D

I'm gonna make it pretty later but I wanted to get some light on the tank. How much light is too much light? It is pretty intense IMO but that may be normal - I'll try and get a shot but I doubt thats gonna help you guys. I've got it sitting about 3 in off the water I would say, so as to get light to all parts of the tank, but i juts may be throwing too much down on it. My peppermint shrimp I put in there to grab some aptasia come and play in the light for a few minutes but then hide behind rocks -- is that normal or a symptom of too much light?

Next question is -- am I good to start slowly adding to the tank when I hit 0 on all the right tests? I'm 0 on ammonia and coming down on nitrate so it shouldn't be too long. Is there a way to add guys besides slowly? As a freshwater guy I'm thinking I want to do fish first, but maybe I need to start some corals. (bunch of you guys i've been buying parts off have offered small frags for free and its about time I start taking you up on that. :D )

Once you've reached zero I'd wait a week or two before doing anything. Then add a few snails or crabs and wait another 1 or 2 weeks. Then add a hardy fish(no damsels); maybe a chromis. Only 1 or two. Be prepared to lose a few fish. Wait more. Keep an eye on your parameters, and add some easy corals(shrooms/rics/xenia/gsp) after another 1 or 2 weeks.

Congrats, you've reached the hard part!

no -- and i have a reason for my indecisiveness. :)

a) i keep hearing that this size tank can be run with just constant water changes (but then again i've heard they can't) but i might just try it for a while w/o

cool.gif the real reason is that i'm already considering the upgrade, or at least envisioning it, and if that happens i don't need to double purchase the 10 will get incorporated into a sump or something and not a standalone anymore and i'll obviously need a more powerful skimmer.

we'll see

Get a used skimmer for a 65g the super skimmer 65 is a pretty good skimmer i had very good results with the one i had.. adn their wicked cheap and will get the job done. i know its not a big name like Vertex or Euro Reef and thos but i really liked it once i got it dialed in.. in a HOT application it would work great.. also JimD has a Tunze that has a very small footprint its for a 55g in tank skimmer i think he wanted 100 for it very good price..