New guy -- new aquarium

capty99

Alrighty then, I'm a senior at UT who has had freshwater for a while but want to make the switch to salt. I've been looking around a while and have decided to do a nano reef in my current 10 gallon tank -- even though everyone says not to start with it because its harder -- for cost and future moving purposes that is what I gotta do. :)

Basically I want to make sure I have everything laid out as far as what I need :

- 10 gallon tank

- I read on Nano-reef.com that you can use one of those store bought whisper hob 5-15 gallon filters to move water (w/o filter material) so I have one of those leftover, and then am picking up a Koralia nano from the classifieds forum.

- I have a freshwater heater that I assume will work the same

as far as things I need :

- lighting (suggestions?)

- 10 lbs of live sand

- 10 - 15 lbs of live rock

- test kits for everything

- SW and I guess for a tank this size I will just buy my freshwater from HEB . (unless anyone tells me austin's water is perfect and doesn't need it. :))

and then my goal is something i picked up from nano reef as well, he has this in a 7.5

1 Clownfish

1 Peppermint Shrimp

Blue Legged Hermit Crabs

Stomatella Snails

Numerous Bristle Worms / stars

Couple Anenomes / Corals

Am I missing something?

If I go to the store, and grab sand + sw + rock can I put them together and start the cycle? do I need to do sand + sw to the right level before i add the rock? and lastly , does lighting need to be set up with live rock only or will my rigged up lamp i use on my freshwater set up (regular everyday 60w bulb) work for that?

thx guys that was a longer post than expected.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome!

Sounds like a good plan overall. Do not use tap water, not worth the potential headache.

You can get SW and RODI(for top off) from the LFS and for that small a tank shouldn't cost too much. Another thing would be perhaps looking at a 20 instead, particularly a tall, to give you a bit more leeway and stability and still be small and easy to move.

Keeping an anemone will be difficult in something that small though, IMO, as they need a bunch of light. I guess you could add a strong PC setup on a 10 and be ok, but I dunno. I think if you keep with some shrooms/rics, and some other low light corals you could have a nice little setup.

Contact Dave(aka prof) under Epic reef in the sponsor section, about rock and sand.

With good live rock, you'll get all the worms you'll need plus some other things.

I added rock first, then water, and put sand in last. When I setup my 75 I'll do rock, then sand, then water.

I think Rob hit on all the main points. Anemones in that small of a tank is a big challenge. They require intense lighting, which in turn generally generates lots of heat. And heat containment is a big issue with small tanks.

You can cycle a tank with no lights. Though one issue will be that you will not get your coraline algae kick started, as that requires lighting similar to corals.

alright, thx guys, i'll set it up later this week probably and let you know what my other questions are that are definitely going to come.

i just sent dave a message hopefully get some rock in the tank soon enough.

I would second starting with a larger tank. You can get a 20 for almost free, and the extra 10g will help stability quite a bit. Besides, you'll be moving up to a larger one soon anyway. :)

I know i say this on all these threads but +1 for a larger tank.

I have a 24g all in one unit and had chronic problems until i put in an external sump with ~ 15 extra gallons of water. Now I am enjoying my reef much more with much less stress.

Alternately on a 10G I'd say skip the fish or get an even smaller one to start out with. If you head into aquatec they have a great nano on the left hand side of the cash register that is all mushrooms and a few other softies that I think is fantastic. I think they have a orchid dottyback in there as well and a couple of sexy shrimp.

you guys are trying hard to convince me but i'm gonna be stubborn here, i've seen some picos that i really like so if my 10g fails, i will come back here and yell about it, and you can tell me i told you so. :)

picking up my rock this weekend hopefully, to get everything started,

gonna diy some lighting, how would i know how much light i need for a 10 gallon (i know there are a ton of variables on types of things going in the tank but i'm looking for a starting place)

As you stated, it depends on what you want to put into it.

There is a nice 70w MH lamp for sale in the for sale section that would let you keep a bunch, if not everything, of stuff in a 10g. Heat and evaporation would be an issue though.

Maybe a small T5 setup or PC unit, if you just want to keep some shrooms/rics.

well i was thinking about doing something like this standthumb.jpg

hes using a 500 watt floodlight embedded into the bowl -- and says it works for a 7.5 gallon nano for his reef growing. fullsetupthumb.jpg

(total cost is like 35 bucks)

k. yeah check the whole profile out if you want info on how he built it. really simple.

(short version)

bowl from bed bath & beyond. $8

light from home depot. $15 (i think they're about 24 at my home depot)

putty + glue + copper pipe from hd .

it looks especially good with that rimless cube tank.

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=22

So I read his setup and he says he bought the light at home depot for $15, then pulled all the guts out. Is he saying he replaced the guts with a MH fixture he already had, or is he saying that Depot sales MH fixtures for $15?

ah that makes more sense than, its just a 500 w lamp, and hes using the guts, and then must be popping in that mh he already had.

i'm dumb and went to home depot and bought a 500 w lamp, that i will promptly be returning due to the fact it was overpriced and doesn't have the right connectors for an MH light, and this is where the fact that my father never taught me anything about electricity or wiring comes into play -- he said that was the one thing you always leave to professionals.

Hes useing an advanced ballast... went to Freight harbor tools and pick up a light $12.99. im gonna run it over my 3-5g sps nano when i get it i wanna try and use it as a very in expencive frag tank. so im going to work on this light. gotta order the ushio bulb.. i already have the mixing bowl only im going to try and use a smaller one. and try to use the case from a picilo clamp light.. dunno it it will work but im gonna give it a shot.. great find! BTW

12.99 is about a third of anything home depot had. what does DE mean -- are you using a tubular mh or just a regular bulb? (home depot didn't have any tubulars but i see them online now)

let me know what bulb you order from ushio as well if you don't mind.