Aquarium on Laminate Floor?

Daisy82

Has anyone had experience with an aquarium on laminate flooring? The only room big enough for my tank has the kind of laminate that snaps together. I'm not really concerned about the weight, just the possibility of water spilling. Does a certain amount of water get out of a tank no matter how careful you are? Should I put anything underneath the tank? I was thinking about getting a rug...

I was also wondering if the humidity would affect the wall behind the tank. It's painted wood paneling. Any thoughts?

Skip the rug.

We have our SW(58) and one FW(a 75)on Pergo. No issues. Just wipe up what spills in a timely manner and you'll be fine.

The weight isn't an issue either. I called Pergo when I placed our first 75 on it and they said it would hold 1000psi, IIRC.

I have read some articles that suggested putting up a sheet of PlexiGlass or arcrylic behind the tank to protect the wall. Is this really necessary?

A good coat of quality paint will handle the humidity. Plexi is not a bad idea but is probably overkill.

In your planning stages make sure you have adequite room in your sump for any possible overflow. Laminates resist water just fine but you do not want to let water get in the joints. My old house flooded (pipe leak, not tank) and the flooring pulled apart and curled up. You want to dry it as fast as possible.

Due to budgetary considerations at the time, I used a rather inexpensive laminate. I was worried about the weight making the stand shift or be unlevel no matter what the manufacturer said. I cut a sheet of marine plywood the same size as my stand and painted the edges black. It is virtually unnoticable and I sleep better. I lost a tank and all my livestock to a cracked bottom once. I don't ever want that to happen again. JMHO.

My tank is on laminate.. so far I've not had any trouble with it, I just make a point of keeping a towel handy to make sure I wipe up the inevitable splashes/drips that go along with water changes, aquascaping, etc.

I have the same flooring. When I put my 90 in I worried about the same issue. I bought a shower curtain and folded it to just before the end of my stand and in the back let it go up the base board to keep water from flowing under it and getting to the flooring that way. Next I laid black kitchen cabinet/drawer liner on top of that so you cant see the shower curtain and it works great. This has saved me quite a few times.

Be careful laying things under your stand. Plastic will keep water from going through to the floor but it will also trap water underneath. I prefer to be able to air out the underside of my stand if I get water on the floor. You can't air out plastic when it is on the floor. Condensation will occur as well. An open bottom stand is my preference.

Archived