High ammonia readings

mhart032

I just moved to a 90g from my 42g and everything tests good but my ammonia test is high. never had any problems with my 42 as far as water balanceing it was only setup for 3 months before the move. i moved everything over and now im having this issue. you think its a mini cycle? i have 40g of saltwater ready to a water change..

Yup, sounds like a cycle. I'd just keep an eye on it, be ready with some Amquel or Prime, and keep the water handy too. Test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate just to stay ahead of it. Hopefully it will be short and not too harsh.

Did you add a bunch of rock or something?

Yup, sounds like a cycle. I'd just keep an eye on it, be ready with some Amquel or Prime, and keep the water handy too. Test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate just to stay ahead of it. Hopefully it will be short and not too harsh.

If you try some of the Amquel stuff, it'll drop your NH3 quickly, but be sure you have plenty of aeration. Honestly, you might be better off with a little of Seachem's Stability. It seems like you just need to finish a cycle and the Amquel would just be pulling the NH3 out of the water, instead of letting the bacteria process it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well things are getting worse. im basicly waitting for the bomb to drop. i cant keep my ammonia down. i did a 20g water change on thurs and it went down to 0 now its back up to .50 everything is wrong.. my nitrates are high and i have 0 nitrites it looks as thought it wants to do a full cycle. i added seachems stability lastnight. should i do another water change i need to and i want to i have 20g ready and im mixing 10 more now.. i tested my ammonia this morning and it was .50

You said you replaced the crushed coral and added sand right? I bet that is what is causing this cycle. The crushed coral would have had beneficial bacteria in it. You are just going through the phase of re-establishing bacteria in your sand bed.

IMO...I would of left all or partial of the crushed coral (since it already has that build up bacteria) and topped off with new sand. Like everyone mentioned...do water changes and check your ammonia. Are you buying or mixing your own saltwater? You own a RO/DI unit? Just to make sure run an ammonia test on the new water, just to make sure.

Hang in there.

i did a 10g change it dropped the ammonia to just a trace. i dosed more stability reco amount and i turned my skimmer off. i should have done that lastnight. but i wasnt thinking about it. im sure i just skimmed all stability out of the tank over night.. so i thought i better turn it off. i now have 30g ready and waitting. also their is no traces of ammonia in my ro or my mixed saltwater..

I took a sample to RCA and everything is good. i think i was getting a false reading from my test kit. everything is pretty balanced (sigh of relief) so i brought home a 6 line wrasse haha. he such a cool little dude he just cruses the tank and doesn't seem to worry about anything! very cool fish.. i think the goby thinks she is queen of the tank though she has to check everything out followed under the new wrasse for a good solid 15 mins. it was quite entertaining. think she just wanted to make sure the new fish wasn't going to mess with the pistol. shes very protective over that shrimp, i believe that's why the engineer goby was picked on so hard.. hes doing well in axtryans tank saw him the other day hes made a home..

Archived