How about locking out old topics in "group orders"?

I was perusing some of the group order threads and felt that it could be found to be a large annoyance to have to read through 4 pages of clutter only to find out that the buy has already taken place. Personally I feel that the thread should be closed or "locked" the instant the order is placed. I think the order taker should then create a new thread when the items come in and need to be distributed. And to that I think it would be nice if we could generate another area of that forum for pickup/delivery arrangements like that of "DIY" being incorporated into "Reef Keeping".

Anybody else feeling this? I really began to feel this once I saw all the multiple group buys from the same retailer going on over and over.

I somewhat agree with your proposed method. I can understand the possible frustration of looking through a multi-page thread only to find the order has already been made. But I unsure of the recommendation to create multiple threads for one order... that seems to me to only complicate the issue more.

I will throw out another alternative. Maybe we could institute where the thread originator updates the thread title to include the status of that group buy, such as:

[Open] Vivid Order #5000

[Ordered] Vivid Order #4999

[Delivered] Vivid Order #4998

[Closed] Vivid Order #4997

That way comments about how the order went and pictures can all be kept together.

I would even volunteer my time to update the more recent threads with the [Closed] tag, if that was a path we all decided to go down.

I could always edit the post in the #1 slot to include the line in bold, "ORDER PLACED ON X DATE...ORDER IS NOW CLOSED..."

My only thought about starting a new thread is that people don't peruse the boards throughly. I've posted group buys before and some of the heavy posters didn't even know I had started the group buy. If people respond to the thread, then they should get responses that the thread has been updated. Those updates would include pickup info vs. people having to look for a new thread.

sounds like a good idea. Is there anyway for us to do this on our selling threads? Can we change the title or maybe lock out old for sale/trade items?

Yes there is. If you go to post that started the thread, click Edit, then click USe Full Editor (or something like that), you can edit the thread title.