Looking for frags

Crossbonez

Crossbonez, I can relate to your feeling. I too by nature am shy but like Bill pointed out we all have something in common, Saltwater. We love to talk about it and show off our hard work!

I have met a lot of great people on this forum and at the meeting. Some have become very good friends. If it was not for this forum I would have thrown in the towel long ago.

But this is surely off topic. :o

I do have some green polpys I can sell or trade. I have posted a picture of the mother colony.

The frag I currently have has 7+ polyps PM if interested:

med_gallery_251_99_122058.jpg

Dave & Robin

Also, maybe it's just me, but I don't really think of going to other people's houses to buy corals as "doing business". Yes, money/goods are exchanged, but with most of the folks here, you pay less than retail. Why is that important? Well, *most* of us are here as pure hobbyists and are not trying to turn a profit. Not making a profit (at least to me) translates into something like what Bill was describing: social networking.

Good luck with the hobby and getting your corals :wub:

haha its not because I'm scared or anything, I'm just not used to going to people's houses for business. I have this overwhelming idea that "home" is for peace and quiet times, and a place for relaxation. I expect its the same for other people, so I would rather not intrude, even though I am invited xD

I know its dumb but its a subconscious thing and no matter how much I go to other people's houses, I can't shake it.

But just as everyone says, I'm going to have to learn to trade at other people's houses, it'll give me a chance to know everyone.

I am totally with you. I am extremely introverted (although not shy) and I find it taxing and often uncomfortable to be with people I don't know well. But not everyone is the same way. Some people find it energizing to have others around, even strangers. Even quirky strangers like me. :wub: And many people *love* the opportunity to show off their tanks with someone else who is actually interested. I do view my house as a refuge where I can relax and have soothing quiet and predictability. At the same time, I do enjoy having people over to my house as long as there aren't too many and it's not for too long. An agreed-to, brief visit is not disruptive or intrusive, even by my hypersensitive standards.

Do try a meeting or two. You might enjoy them. I generally go (although this month I think I'm going to go to the coast instead), although I often come kinda of late and leave early. No one seems to mind. I don't have anything to trade and I don't have a lot to contribute to conversations. My tank is small and low-tech, my corals are few and common, and, well, I'm pretty socially awkward. Again, no one seems to mind. (I'm also intelligent and kind-hearted and creative. I don't think I'm a loser. I just recognize my own quirks.) The meetings are a bit of a stretch for me, but I think it's a good stretch. :punk:

There's a forum in the classified section for group buys. azcummins has co-ordinated some with Vivid Aquariums and overall people have been very pleased with their purchases. Read a couple of the threads and you'll get an idea of how they work. (Each vendor does it a little differently.)

Anyway, welcome and good luck. Don't feel like an odd duck. All kinds of people enjoy living with saltwater critters.

ej

If you're looking to control Nitrates, try a mangrove pod or two. I've had one in my nano's for years, and not only do they look nice, they love nitrates; my nano's have never had nitrate issues after adding one. :angry:

I see... hmm how exactly do I put a light back there :) or does the main lighting reach back there so I don't have to get any extra lighting?

Ah, I'm asking too many questions... I meant for this thread to be for buying :( I'll make another thread for the questions later :( Thanks for answering my simple questions

I have a JBJ nano and i think i enjoy modding it more than most other reef related activities. :P

Anyways, the best way I found to do it.

You measure out where the center section on the back is. Doesn't need to be exact but you'll want to be within 1/4" or better. Then you mark it out on the back. The back panel is just vynal glued to the back glass piece. So you take a straight edge and cut out a section of the vynal big enough so your light can fit there. The vynal just peels right off. You can use the straight edge (razor blade) to scrape the glue off and help you get the backing off.

For the light i use the smallest worklight they have over at home depot. It has a clip on it so it stays where you want and is just the perfect size, not to mention cheap. Just clip it on where you want it to be and turn it on. For a light I am using the smallest halogen spot that they had at home depot. While its a horrible light for corals my cheato just eats up all the nice red light it gives. You could also put in a small plant light or just a small flourescent "daylight" bulb. I have to trim out my cheato every other week. (BTW, if you want a baseball sized chunk I'm sure I will have some ready by the time i get back home next week.)

Ah I see, so I don't mod the hood for the extra light? And do I just put the cheato (or was it chaeto?) in the middle compartment?

Yep, Once you have the light and everything it just grows.

My current filter setup is First compartment goes through floss. A sponge filter would work but i had a bad experience with one. Second compartment chaeto. Last is the return pump and a bag of purigen.

Also highly recommended is upgrading your return pump. Mine came with a rio and i went up to a maxi 1200 after I had a LPS meltdown and I haven't had any flow issues come back.