Looking for frags

Crossbonez

I'm new to the whole aquarium hobby so I'm looking to get my hands on some nice zoa frags.

I'm a little low on cash but I've enough to buy a few frags depending on how much you're asking. There isn't any particular type I'm looking for, except a pulsating xenia, which I saw someone giving away awhile ago and stated that it removes nitrates.

So I'm looking for the Xenia and anything else you might have for sale. Something cheap yet pleasing to the eye :( (Something like the nuclear or armageddon palys, they're bright and caught my eye instantly)

I have a 29G Nano cube with 14 lbs of live rock, and nothing else besides live sand, so you can imagine my tank is pretty bland. Please offer something nice :D

MY EMAIL IS [email protected], email me if you'd like, because I only check the forums every now and then. I'm more likely to respond if you email me.

I do a lot of my trading at the HEB off of I 35 and Parmer, the huge HEB with the nice open gas station in the front, which is where I do the transactions. I'd rather not drive to anyone's house for business as it makes me uncomfortable, but if you absolutely cannot meet me there, feel free to PM me a time and place which fits your schedule. (I'm new to this whole deal thing on this forum so I don't know if there is some default meeting area everyone goes to here)

Edited by Crossbonez

Awesome, now I got another thing on my list I have to get.

Do they sell this at any of the LFS? Oh and I got my nano cube without the instructions, so I'm a bit confused, but there are (I think) 3 compartments in the back of the nano tank... what exactly are they for? I know now that one of them is for algae

it would basically be a mini refugium. The light doesnt need to be anything high tech, a regular lightbulb works fine. maybe even something smaller(?)

its cool to get chaeto with pods(little swimmy animals), cause theyll get sucked into the tank, and the fish love to chase and snack on them

I see... hmm how exactly do I put a light back there :o or does the main lighting reach back there so I don't have to get any extra lighting?

Ah, I'm asking too many questions... I meant for this thread to be for buying :( I'll make another thread for the questions later :) Thanks for answering my simple questions

"uncomfortable", if someone invites you then why feel uncomfortable? your going to have to get used to going to people's houses to do trades. Great chance to meet people with a common interest and see another tank/ides. We aren't going to kill ya! :o

I can see how someone may feel uncomfortable, especially around new people. Crossbonez, it will probably help if you come to one of the meetings. Everyone on here is nice and once you get to know the group a bit more, you won't have to worry as much. :o

I can see how someone may feel uncomfortable, especially around new people. Crossbonez, it will probably help if you come to one of the meetings. Everyone on here is nice and once you get to know the group a bit more, you won't have to worry as much. :o

I agree 100%.....you need to come to the meeting. You'll get to meet interesting people and you'll get to see the hosts' tank. And I'm certain you'll get some answers to your questions......this is what's all about.

I can see how someone may feel uncomfortable, especially around new people. Crossbonez, it will probably help if you come to one of the meetings. Everyone on here is nice and once you get to know the group a bit more, you won't have to worry as much. :)

I dunno..I was terrified to come to your house again after your dog almost licked me to death..! :o

haha its not because I'm scared or anything, I'm just not used to going to people's houses for business. I have this overwhelming idea that "home" is for peace and quiet times, and a place for relaxation. I expect its the same for other people, so I would rather not intrude, even though I am invited xD

I know its dumb but its a subconscious thing and no matter how much I go to other people's houses, I can't shake it.

But just as everyone says, I'm going to have to learn to trade at other people's houses, it'll give me a chance to know everyone.

I dunno..I was terrified to come to your house again after your dog almost licked me to death..! :lol:

At least she didn't think your wrist was a chew toy, as she does that with me all the time!

As for frags, get in on the next group buy. You can save a lot of money on the shipping part and you tend to get more unique items. I would rather get one nice piece that is a bit more pricey than a few "bread and butter" peices. You will end up having a super nice tank over time. JMO.

At least she didn't think your wrist was a chew toy, as she does that with me all the time!

As for frags, get in on the next group buy. You can save a lot of money on the shipping part and you tend to get more unique items. I would rather get one nice piece that is a bit more pricey than a few "bread and butter" peices. You will end up having a super nice tank over time. JMO.

Did I hear group buy?

How does this group buy thing work? Sounds like something I'd be interested in if I can get some nice pieces for my tank

Someone acts as the "lead" for the group buy and arranges the shipping dates, etc. then takes everyone's order and $, has it delivered to their house and everyone comes gets their stuff.

Usually works great as people get lots of stuff and they don't have to pay shipping.

Check out the vivid aquariums order take 4 thread in the "group buys". You can see what people get from Vivid Aquariums, where I head up group orders from.

Welcome to ARC. Everyone here is friendly and going to people's houses is one of the best ways to learn when you are new.

The fuge (refugium) mod is super easy. If you look at your tank from the top (without a hood on it) you should see 3 chambers on the back. The middle chamber is where you want to put your algae (cheato is the most common type to use). In order to keep it alive you need to remove part of the backing so you can shine a light into the middle chamber. The backing is just a thin piece of vinyl that can be removed by scoring it with a razor blade and peeling off the part where the algae will be. You can pick up a cheap light fixture from home depot or lowes (you can find a clip on for about $6-10).

Ideas on how to run the light on the fuge vary. Some people like to run it at the opposite time as the main lights some like to run the fuge light 24/7.

I do understand your reluctance but let me suggest two upsides to 'home visits'.

1) I believe one of the draws of this site is that it is a form of a social networking site but for people who really enjoy SW aquariums and talkin' about them. If you were answering an ad on Craigslist, that person may or may not be very personable, and may be interested in just makin a buck. I can honestly say I have not met a person through this great club who was rude or aloof. There have been a few that just aren't real talkative but the majority of the 'addicts' on here relish the opportunity to talk about reefin'. I think you will find almost everyone on here just plain ol good folks.

2) Going to someone's house allows you to see what these frags really look like. Naturally people will show their best pictures in the best lite and what they have is not as impressive when it is not under idea light and viewed under 10X magnification. Also when you are new and funds are limited you may see some very common brown and green zoas which are often much more interesting in person but will typically be very inexpensive both in overall price and price per polyp.

Bill