protien skimmer not workin??

LiLS

so for some reason my protien skimmer keeps droppin water levels and it doesnt make any bubbles or anything? i tried adjsuting it multiple times and nothin...

im running a marine precision skimmer.

edit: well its startin to make bubbles and stuff but the water level drops

Edited by LiLS

What does your sump look like?

marine precision sump and skimmer, its on the website..

At this point have you taken the pump apart to clean and soak everything? Sounds like the impeller is blocked.

what is the impeller sir?

sorry im a beginner :(

if you guys want i can take a picture of the set up and record a vidoe and show yall

I just read it doesn't make bubbles. Have you opened the air valve?

yessir...and it only makes bubbles if the water lvl is like halfway...but if its filled to the top it like doesnt do anything...im so confused

Your water level has to be at a constant level for your skimmer to work properly. The impeller is inside the pump.

yeah it is at a constant level just not inside the skimmer...im gettin the occasional bubbles...not like hwo it was before...ill take a pic for you guys when i get my camera ina bit

Which style PM skimmer do you have? I ran a PM Bullet 2 for about a year, and never could get it to run the way it should. If it is a Bullet skimmer one thing to check is the injector. Mine would frequently get clogged, and require cleaning about once a week. I placed an arrow pointing to the injector, just in case you are not familiar.

untitled.bmp

Which style PM skimmer do you have? I ran a PM Bullet 2 for about a year, and never could get it to run the way it should. If it is a Bullet skimmer one thing to check is the injector. Mine would frequently get clogged, and require cleaning about once a week. I placed an arrow pointing to the injector, just in case you are not familiar.

its the bullet one and this thing has always been confusing to me to use, i jsut odnt know how to set it up right lol...

i also think its the injector...how would i go about cleaning it?

If it is the older style then you remove the thumbscrews and then remove the top. You can then pull the black tubing out of the lid, and remove the O-Rings that hold the tubing together. You should be able to take the tubing apart and expose another small black piece, pardon all the technical terms, that is seated inside the black tubing. Then just clean any debris, and put it back together. This should remedy the problem for a little while. LMK if this works. Also, on the PM you have to make sure you keep the skimmer neck clean.

If it is the newer models then I am not sure how you remove the top of the injector, but from the pics it kind of looks like a union that you can unscrew.

If it is the older style then you remove the thumbscrews and then remove the top. You can then pull the black tubing out of the lid, and remove the O-Rings that hold the tubing together. You should be able to take the tubing apart and expose another small black piece, pardon all the technical terms, that is seated inside the black tubing. Then just clean any debris, and put it back together. This should remedy the problem for a little while. LMK if this works. Also, on the PM you have to make sure you keep the skimmer neck clean.

If it is the newer models then I am not sure how you remove the top of the injector, but from the pics it kind of looks like a union that you can unscrew.

thanks alot sir! i opened it up cleaned it. and now its back to fizzing and foaming action :D

Probably got clogged again. Like I said previously I was having to clean mine at least once a week in order to keep it running. Otherwise if the water is just standing with no action at all sounds like your pump might be the problem

Probably got clogged again. Like I said previously I was having to clean mine at least once a week in order to keep it running. Otherwise if the water is just standing with no action at all sounds like your pump might be the problem

well like if i have a valve that between the skimmer and pump and usually its been workin latelty but then it usually stops or half t he water is gone inside the skimmer so i have to turn the valve to prevent any water being pumped into the skimmer and then let the water back in then it works...and i gotta do this like everyday :)

well like if i have a valve that between the skimmer and pump and usually its been workin latelty but then it usually stops or half t he water is gone inside the skimmer so i have to turn the valve to prevent any water being pumped into the skimmer and then let the water back in then it works...and i gotta do this like everyday :)

umm...not really sure I understand what you are describing. Maybe if you take a few pics of your setup then I can figure it out. Do you have the skimmer mounted externally of the sump, or is it internal? Also, if it is external do you have a gatevalve on the out flow to control the water level in the skimmer? There is also a small air intake on top of the injector that you have to tune. Finally, if all else fails give PM a call. When I had issues with mine they were always very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...