Emerald Crab eating fish

johnoburns

So I woke up today and was looking for all my fish in the tank and noticed my blue hippo missing. Then I saw him in some rock work moving funny. After a closer inspection he wasn't moving funny, he was being eaten by my emerald crab. Anyone ever hear of this. Should I have crab for dinner tonight?

I've had a couple of green chromis disappear during the night at different times. I don't know whether to blame the emerald crab or not. Could Peppermint Shrimp eat the chromis? Two other green chromis have done fine over a couple months.

Most of the small crabs (sp.the emerald crab), will eat leftovers or anything that's been dead for awhile. I don't think it kill your fish, I think the fish died and opportunity presented itself and it was eating breakfast. Most of the smaller crabs are scavengers, IMO. Sorry to hear about your tang.

The same thing w/peppermint shrimp.....they're scavengers and they usually eat anything that's dead.

(Moved this to the reef discussion forum, just to keep the Group Orders section focused on new orders)

Hmm. I would think a healthy fish (especially a rang) would be able to outswim an emerald crab. The fish still nderthe arrive alive guaruntee?

I would think a healthy tang would be able to out swim him too. My other fish is doing well, but I think someone else was having a problem with one of their fish.

I meant to add this on the already existing vivid thread, not start a new thread in the group orders section, sorry.

I bought a piece of sun coral at RCA and I noticed my peppermint shrimp were pulling pieces off and eating it. I figured it must have some dead tissue around the edges. After a couple of days, they stopped and the coral seems to be doing fine. There are insect larvae that do the same thing.

I just bought an emerald today. As soon as he went out of the bag, my tomatoe clown picked him up and carried him around. Then he got pinched. Unfortunatley, the cran went into the den of my pistol shrimp and goby, and the crab nor shrimp have been seen since.

One of my Tangs tried to do something similar, but the emerald crab kept running and waving his claws in the air. I think it likes the fuzzy look of the crabs legs LOL.

Dena

I just bought an emerald today. As soon as he went out of the bag, my tomatoe clown picked him up and carried him around. Then he got pinched. Unfortunatley, the cran went into the den of my pistol shrimp and goby, and the crab nor shrimp have been seen since.