New ORA Platinum Clownfish

pbnj

I'm not sure I understand the allure of a fish simply because it is 'rare'. Perhaps it's 'rare' because its evolutionary viability sucks? But hey, maybe fugly fish get laid too?

I'm not sure I understand the allure of a fish simply because it is 'rare'. Perhaps it's 'rare' because its evolutionary viability sucks? But hey, maybe fugly fish get laid too?

My opinion is ora is breeding fish with defects... I bet you will never find one of these wild caught. If you think about it first it was like misbar, the teardrop, then came the naked, the picasso, the snowcasso, and now the platinum. If you breed defects then those genes will become more and more dominent and you get a $600.00 fish... Now

this is just my opinion and I dont know that they didnt find this fish somewhere, BUT I think these fish are wayyy overpriced and overrated. I MAY BE 100% WRONG but seems to me that all these clowns originate at ORA...

Hmmm Sounds just like my theory about LE corals. I can understand that once upon a time it actually meant something but now every online shop in the world and a handful of our local reefers feel the need to make up special names and suddenly jack up (or rip off depending upon how you see it) us regular reefers. Is it just me or are all of our corals and fish suddenly priced ridiculously high? I remember 2 years ago most shops almost gave zoa away, generally an 8" slap of rock covered in them was $35. Remember only a couple of years ago SPS colonies sold for $45 and now most people want that for their frags. How will the hobby support all of this in the future? It bothers me to think that the greed involved will quickly suffocate this hobby to death. I just saw a for sale post of 4 head zoa frags for $25. There are shops locally selling 2 head Euphyllia (frogspawn, hammer, anchor, torch, etc..) for $100 and they were just $25-30. Nothing is going up at 3% a year it's closer to 300% a year. My point? I blame ORA and the rest for this issue.

With the way capitalism works, the only way our hobby will survive if countries start banning wild caught fish and corals will be by folks like ORA aqua culturing our livestock for reasonable profit. The practice of selling obscenely small fragments of a coral at ridiculously high prices is the only way coral farmers on small islands are profitable, or so they think-----

Let me explain: If more of these aquaculture people bought into the Walmart genius of higher overall profitability and higher volume at the expense of higher per unit profits and lower volume, they'd make more money. In other words, even if you're selling only frags and not colonies, wouldn't it make more sense to sell 100 frags at $20/each than only selling 10 frags at $50/each? If the price is lower, more people can afford to buy your frags. Even if you make less money per frag, you still make more money overall. Or perhaps there are just enough suckers, say 40 of them, who'll pay $50/each. Meh.

Does anyone remember when the picasso clown came on the scene about 3 years ago? They were over $300.00 a piece and a mated pair was like 700. Now you can get them for 60 to 70 ... Now thats still overpriced in my opinion for a clownfish but thats not my point. My point is I would be mad as hell if i bought a $300.00+ fish and a year and a half it was now a $70.00 fish lol. Oh and like Mike said the LE isnt even limited edition anymore it's just 2 letters out of the alphabet when it comes to MOST of these corals to justify overpricing.