Lunar Eclipse Snagged a Mysis

Dena

First time I've seen one of my corals grab a piece of food. I hope it's a large enough photo for you to see...I didn't have it in raw format so I couldn't make it larger...then when I went back in raw, someone must have stole it from him. I got this frag from another member and it's grown three new polyps already...very happy. This under LED lighting...has a similar color to the Phoenix bulb. My corals and clams are doing wonderful under this lighting also!!!

Lunar Eclipse Eating

post-429-1243955443_thumb.jpg

My newest addition...tank raised Canary Blenny (I think that's what they called it)

post-429-1243955948_thumb.jpg

If anyone wants to see some nice photos, go to flickr.com. Type in a search for motleypixel. You'll see some images and kind of a square symbol with a jokers hat in it. Click on that to view more of his photos. The aquarium pics are from my tank...and the red eye tree frog is mine also. My husbands co-worker has a NICE camera.

Dena

Great pictures! I sometimes target some mysis at my zoa's, but most of the time they don't catch any.

I really like the canary blenny. I have been contemplating getting one of those or a midas blenny. Though, don't the canary blenny's have a poisonous bite? Better watch out when cleaning the tank :lol: I had a maroon clown that would attack my hand every time I tried cleaning my 24g.

Poisonous...they are so small though LOL. Hmmm...I'll have to check into that because I always have my hand in the tank. He hides though, not like the clowns. I got him from the Dome. They had the other one as of Saturday...may go back and get him if he's still there this week. It was $20...I just love the colors and the the way the tail is. I like the Midas also!!!

Great pictures! I sometimes target some mysis at my zoa's, but most of the time they don't catch any.

I really like the canary blenny. I have been contemplating getting one of those or a midas blenny. Though, don't the canary blenny's have a poisonous bite? Better watch out when cleaning the tank :lol: I had a maroon clown that would attack my hand every time I tried cleaning my 24g.

Poisonous...they are so small though LOL. Hmmm...I'll have to check into that because I always have my hand in the tank. He hides though, not like the clowns. I got him from the Dome. They had the other one as of Saturday...may go back and get him if he's still there this week. It was $20...I just love the colors and the the way the tail is. I like the Midas also!!!

I think I read online (Vivid's site I think) that it is like a bee sting.

Hmm.. at the Dome you say. I was actually thinking about stopping there after a doctors appointment this afternoon :lol::lol:

Awe...that's mean. Go for it though...I like this little guy. At night he turns darker colors and sleeps in one spot...kind of tucks himself in.

I think I read online (Vivid's site I think) that it is like a bee sting.

Hmm.. at the Dome you say. I was actually thinking about stopping there after a doctors appointment this afternoon :lol::lol:

I have come across some articles about zoanthids and plays having toxins, specifically 'palytoxin'.

Here is one link: http://www.cbwinfo.com/Biological/Toxins/Palytoxin.html

and another:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...light=zoanthids

Has anyone had any problems here? I haven't noticed any but my hands are not in my tank much.

Awe...that's mean. Go for it though...I like this little guy. At night he turns darker colors and sleeps in one spot...kind of tucks himself in.

Heh.. wasn't trying to be mean :lol:

Though, you say he hides a lot ... I take it is a pretty docile? I need something that will stand up to my Talbot Damsel bullies. They picked on my jawfish till he was in his burrow. My flame angel and scopas tang do not put up with their antics, and will chase them right back. They sometimes bully my blue sided fairy wrasse, but have done no harm.

I have come across some articles about zoanthids and plays having toxins, specifically 'palytoxin'.

Here is one link: http://www.cbwinfo.com/Biological/Toxins/Palytoxin.html

and another:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...light=zoanthids

Has anyone had any problems here? I haven't noticed any but my hands are not in my tank much.

I don't want to derail Dena's thread about this too much, so if this leads down a long discussion, I will split the thread and move this to the reef discussion forum.

This is a very common question when people first hear about Palytoxins. I think the short answer is most zoa's don't contain this, and those Paly's that do... well it is harmless unless you do something silly like eat them.

A slightly longer answer is, like all "poisons", it depends on the person. Some people are severely allergic to bee stings, some aren't.

I don't want to derail Dena's thread about this too much, so if this leads down a long discussion, I will split the thread and move this to the reef discussion forum.

This is a very common question when people first hear about Palytoxins. I think the short answer is most zoa's don't contain this, and those Paly's that do... well it is harmless unless you do something silly like eat them.

A slightly longer answer is, like all "poisons", it depends on the person. Some people are severely allergic to bee stings, some aren't.

Why is your "longer answer" shorter than your "short answer"? :lol:

Dena if you want to have more of the LE's than you know what to do with target feed them. I'm glad they are doing good for you.

On the palytoxin... when it's listed that 4micrograms can kill you I wouldn't take it lightly. That being said my hand are in the tank way too much and one day my jupiter's were dozed over by a turbo snail. I caught the paly's before they hit the sand bed and they slimmed me real good. The next morning I woke up with a cough. By the end of the day I couldn't quit coughing, my kidney's were on fire and I thought I would die. No antidote, no treatment. I drank a ton of water and felt better but was weak for a week. The toxin causes hemolysis (breaks apart blood cells) and promotes tumor growth. I wear gloves now or my wife gives me a ration of grief. I guess it's like this; do you know the difference between a major and minor emergency? A major emergency happens to ME! You never know how someone will react so I'd err on the side of caution. Just my two pennies.

Why is your "longer answer" shorter than your "short answer"? :lol:

Um, yeah, good question :lol:

On the palytoxin... You never know how someone will react so I'd err on the side of caution. Just my two pennies.

I didn't mean to belittle the possible dangers. You are actually the first person I have heard having such a severe reaction to handling Palys. Everything else I have read has always been basically fearmongering with no real proof.

There are so many animals in this hobby that have some amount of "poison" in them like the canary blenny.

He only hides when I have my hands in the tank...otherwise he's out constantly. Get rid of the bullies!! It's always the cheap or free ones that kill our expensive ones.

Heh.. wasn't trying to be mean :lol:

Though, you say he hides a lot ... I take it is a pretty docile? I need something that will stand up to my Talbot Damsel bullies. They picked on my jawfish till he was in his burrow. My flame angel and scopas tang do not put up with their antics, and will chase them right back. They sometimes bully my blue sided fairy wrasse, but have done no harm.

I've got all kinds of goodies for target feeding...even reef roids. I did it on the weekends when I had more time, but I keep forgetting lately.

I can't work with gloves...can't believe you had such a severe reaction to touching them. I get little puss bumps like a fire ant bite when my anemone hits the back side of my hand or arm...the palm of my hand, no issues. I've gotten that a tun of time...or rammed my hand into a long spine urchin at night...he's not in the tank any more.

D

Dena if you want to have more of the LE's than you know what to do with target feed them. I'm glad they are doing good for you.

On the palytoxin... when it's listed that 4micrograms can kill you I wouldn't take it lightly. That being said my hand are in the tank way too much and one day my jupiter's were dozed over by a turbo snail. I caught the paly's before they hit the sand bed and they slimmed me real good. The next morning I woke up with a cough. By the end of the day I couldn't quit coughing, my kidney's were on fire and I thought I would die. No antidote, no treatment. I drank a ton of water and felt better but was weak for a week. The toxin causes hemolysis (breaks apart blood cells) and promotes tumor growth. I wear gloves now or my wife gives me a ration of grief. I guess it's like this; do you know the difference between a major and minor emergency? A major emergency happens to ME! You never know how someone will react so I'd err on the side of caution. Just my two pennies.

He only hides when I have my hands in the tank...otherwise he's out constantly. Get rid of the bullies!! It's always the cheap or free ones that kill our expensive ones.

Well, that other canary blenny is still at the dome if you want him. I decided he was too small for what I was looking for as my next additions. I ended up just picking up some nice colored pink zoa's. There was a nice grey and read open brain I almost got, but didn't want to spend that much money today :lol:

Cool pictures Dena! You made me want a Canary Blenny.. :||

@ Palytoxin..

A guy posted on RC that his dog drank water that had Zoa's in it, and his dog died within like 6 hours... Scary stuff!

I posted a thread last year on using CAUTION when handling palys/zoas. Try to use latex gloves if you must. I actually did some research on people who have had this encounter and had some similar symptoms.

Reason: I had a minor cut (infected cuticle, ladies you know what I mean), and while cleaning off some die off I happen to touch some zoas and got slimmed.

Symptoms: I felt my blood pressure rise, heart beating was faster than usual (while I was lying down), numbness on my tongue, lethargic almost the whole day and everytime I need to get up I felt dizzy. I felt like crap. This has happen to me twice while messing around w/zoas & palys.

And you know what...I still don't wear gloves BUT if I know I have a infected open wound I would not risk it. And it helps to also wash off the slime off asap.

-Cindy-

Ya know, I was scared because I never saw him eat the first week, but yesterday he ate Mysis. He is tank raised so I was shocked that he wasn't eating instantly.

Let me know how your canary blenny turns out. I got one from RCA and I could never get him to eat...even live brine. He was cool while he lasted tho.

Ok, just wanted to followup on the whole palytoxin item. Between your guy's experiences and one on a another board, I am a believer. Just finished reading a post were someone tried fragging their pay's in the tank, there was a major slimming, and now the tank is crashing majorly (all SPS bleached overnight, LPS flesh detaching from skeletons, etc) :) Of course the Paly's are doing fine.