magnesium too high?

AndrewT

I have a feeling that my mag. may be to high. my blue mili as well as red mili turned green. I suspect its a result of my mag being too high. all my parameters are in check anyone have any idea why my sps could be turning green? its really irritating.

From what I hear MG doesn't usually get to a point where it is TOO high. Do you know what it is currently?

-Brooks

i dont... i just figured it was too high cause i had been over dosing. i did a 40 gal water change sat to see if it helped any. im not sure why its greening up. my temps at a constant 80 help please!!!!!!!!

I've got a Blue Milli that is "greening up" at the tips, and at the encrusted area near the bottom half of the coral. My MG is 1350 I believe. So it could be a lighting issue.

I've got a Blue Milli that is "greening up" at the tips, and at the encrusted area near the bottom half of the coral. My MG is 1350 I believe. So it could be a lighting issue.

lighting? you mean not enough? or too much? i have 2 400w mh that are a month old so im wanting to rule that out.... unless its too much light. my other sps is good but my milis seem to be the only prob

I'd think it to be not enough. As I've got mine further down, hence the green coloration. Usually when things are receiving too much light, they turn to lighter colors.

Is it high up close to the lights? How many inches down from the surface do you have it?

its the same height as my cali... the cali is great but my milis are a pain in the behind. theyre about a foot and a half from my lights

It could be they need more light? More flow? That's about all I can conjure up... ;) I hope I helped some!

-Brooks

Hmm have two k3s in my 90 plus my locklines and 2 400w 14k mh bulbs. im thinking its gotta be something in my water. my lights are overkill for a 90g tank so i assume its gotta be something in my water. i thought magnesium cause once this happened a while back i layed off the dosing and it almost seemed like it wanted to color back up.

Andrew-

you can borrow my Mg test kit if you want so that you can test you Mg. I never really do, I just dose my top off water with Mg and I throw a little in every other day to my tank.

Found this article on Magnesium and it's effects in the aquarium:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/chem.htm

Skimming it, this was the only reference about the effects of too much:

Bingman pointed out in a previous article that at elevated concentrations (>8,000 ppm), magnesium has been used as an aid in shucking oysters, helping to force the oyster open, and also as an anesthetic for them. Consequently, magnesium does have potentially negative biological effects at significantly elevated concentrations.

Archived