sump baffle help

AndrewT

im adding baffles in my sump and so far this is how its looking. the gray lines represent whats in place the red is the last baffle to add. my question is how necessary is the red baffle. can i do without it? I ask cause ive had hell getting that last piece of glass in there and im just getting impatient. lmk any input is valued

Untitled-1.jpg

im adding baffles in my sump and so far this is how its looking. the gray lines represent whats in place the red is the last baffle to add. my question is how necessary is the red baffle. can i do without it? I ask cause ive had hell getting that last piece of glass in there and im just getting impatient. lmk any input is valued

Untitled-1.jpg

I've never seen one that had a series of 4 baffles like that. PErsonally, I'd say ditch it and put in a sponge in that bubble trap to keep out the micro bubbles.

I've never seen one that had a series of 4 baffles like that. PErsonally, I'd say ditch it and put in a sponge in that bubble trap to keep out the micro bubbles.

where would the sponge go?

thatll work... ill just pull my sponge from my oceanic and put it in there... now all i need is some cheato should i throw anything else in there.... anyone have some extra cheato?

Edited by AndrewT

I gave away the last of my cheato, need some myself. I should have some grape calerpa and a few others. I would not use the sponge, unless y ou are going to clean it often. I do not use them, and have no bubble issues.

A sponge would require some regular type of cleaning.

Microbubbles are not bad for the tank. They can keep some corals from fully expanding their polyps but I think the biggest problem is they can make the tank appear 'cloudy' and therefore more difficult to get a clear view of your livestock.

That is why you have a set of baffles/bubble trap in your sump.

A sponge would require some regular type of cleaning.

Microbubbles are not bad for the tank. They can keep some corals from fully expanding their polyps but I think the biggest problem is they can make the tank appear 'cloudy' and therefore more difficult to get a clear view of your livestock.

That is why you have a set of baffles/bubble trap in your sump.

+1 on the cloudy park. Every now and then my skimmer kicks out all these excess bubbles and they get through the bubble trap and into my tank. Then it looks like its snowing in my tank...yuk!

+1 on the cloudy park. Every now and then my skimmer kicks out all these excess bubbles and they get through the bubble trap and into my tank. Then it looks like its snowing in my tank...yuk!

weird... my sump has to be the biggest piece ever. ive never had a problem with that. at least i dont think i have. hmmm

weird... my sump has to be the biggest piece ever. ive never had a problem with that. at least i dont think i have. hmmm

I have the three piece bubble trap and, from observation, bubbles aren't getting through it. Even though they're piled up against it.

I get microbubbles from the bubbles that form due to the drop from the bubble trap wall into the return (around 3").

I'm going to raise the level of my return and see if I can mitigate that.

Kaceyj is right, if you use the sponge you will need to clean or replace regularly as they can turn into nitrate factories. :| dont ask me how I know this. I couldnt see the pic of your sump so i cant really comment on the microbubbles.