External Skimmer

rosslonghorns

Does anyone run an external skimmer? What are the pros / cons versus internal? Any pointers?

I have a 58 gallon sump on my 180 gallon tank and due to its height and height of stand, I'm limited on the diameter skimmer body I can fit. I'm leaning towards a MSX250 right now due to cost / performance, but I'm not sure I can get it to fit in the sump. As a result, I've kicked around the idea of using an external skimmer and then converting the sump to a refugium.

What do you think? Any negatives about an external skimmer?

I have run many external skimmers. About the only real downside is the possibility of a leak. If it is in your sump you don't have to worry about the water getting to the floor. With good plumbing it is no big deal.

Does anyone run an external skimmer? What are the pros / cons versus internal? Any pointers?

I have a 58 gallon sump on my 180 gallon tank and due to its height and height of stand, I'm limited on the diameter skimmer body I can fit. I'm leaning towards a MSX250 right now due to cost / performance, but I'm not sure I can get it to fit in the sump. As a result, I've kicked around the idea of using an external skimmer and then converting the sump to a refugium.

What do you think? Any negatives about an external skimmer?

how much room do you have under your stand? Vertex makes some nice in sump skimmers and the smaller models that would be good for your tank aren't real tall.

With your external models, did you ever have any trouble with overflowing skimmer?

I've had this happen a few times on my internal skimmers where the cup overflows. Has this ever occurred on your external? Some mechanism that they have that eliminates this possibility?

This was a worry of mine.

I will have to look into Vertex. I was looking at the Alpha cones. I currently have a Euro-Reef CS 8-1 and it is difficult and must wedge it between the stand and the top lip of my sump to get it to fit. I believe the body on it is 8".

how much room do you have under your stand? Vertex makes some nice in sump skimmers and the smaller models that would be good for your tank aren't real tall.

I had a 5' tall Euroreef decide one day that enough was enough and exploded like a volcano. The Lady was home and she forgot to open the return valve all the way and instead opted to throw the switch on the six way outlet, toss in the jokes about it being "an electrifying" or "a shocking" experience. The skimmer had been modified in such a way that the base had 12" of acrylic glued all the way around so that escaping water would be harnessed within and then an overflow pipe was to return it to the sump. Instead the water was being expelled through the vent holes in the top and completely bypassed the "dyke". When she finally threw the switch something even more exciting happened. The water from the supply pump continued to flow into the skimmer as it was plugged into a different outlet. The water then backed up the air suction lines and began spraying about 3' from the skimmer in 4 directions.

Archived