Flow

msmmze

I have a 110g Long with a 55g sump/fuge. I was Curious how good or bad my flow is. My tank is drilled calflow with 2 3in drains with 2 mag 7s returning. I have a hydor koralia 4 and a Tunze I believe the tunze is about the same size as the koralia but I doesnt say anywhere. Its mainly sps but also has a purple tang, blue Hippo tang, Rabbit fish and a few clowns. I have a couple Koralia 2 in the garage I was wondering if I should add one.

I have a 110g Long with a 55g sump/fuge. I was Curious how good or bad my flow is. My tank is drilled calflow with 2 3in drains with 2 mag 7s returning. I have a hydor koralia 4 and a Tunze I believe the tunze is about the same size as the koralia but I doesnt say anywhere. Its mainly sps but also has a purple tang, blue Hippo tang, Rabbit fish and a few clowns. I have a couple Koralia 2 in the garage I was wondering if I should add one.

A lot of people base flow on what type of tank you are trying to keep...fish only? SPS? LPS? softies? The general rule is that SPS need high flow, LPS > Softies > Fish only.

There are plenty of articles out there about how much flow you need for each type of tank, so do a little research and see what makes sense for you.

Overall, extra flow can't hurt as long you aren't blowing your sand around, or all your fish are swimming in a straight line.

A lot of people base flow on what type of tank you are trying to keep...fish only? SPS? LPS? softies? The general rule is that SPS need high flow, LPS > Softies > Fish only.

There are plenty of articles out there about how much flow you need for each type of tank, so do a little research and see what makes sense for you.

Overall, extra flow can't hurt as long you aren't blowing your sand around, or all your fish are swimming in a straight line.

[/quote

Thank you I will read up more about it. My tank is mainly sps. Is there any way to identify which tunze power head I have. My tank has been running nicely for over a year but I never really paid attention to the flow I just put those power heads in and with he 3in drains I figured it would be fine. I was just wondering even though my sps are growing fine if more flow would give better growth. I also thought if I add any power heads it may cause more heat.

A couple good options to look at is folw accelerators aka penductors, these will increase your flow without having to upgrade you return pumps or add powerheads. Also what i did to solve my flow issues was take all of my powerheads out and install 1 single vortec. In doing so I have increased my flow, space, and my corals are so much happier. With a vortec you can adjust you flow rate from 50gph to like 5000 gph or something like that. Good luck .

Archived