Building New Water

Rjohn

Yesterday, I got set up to do a water change. I put a trash can liner in my Brute 40, added 20 gallons of RO water, Red Sea Pro salt, and threw in a couple of Maxijets 1200's to stir it all up. This is my usual method of creating new salt water. In the winter, I add a heater to get it up to about 75 degrees or so. This time after half an hour, the water was very milky looking. Even in a small glass container, you could see it. It was still that way this morning. I am putting it down the kitchen sink as I write this. I have never had this problem before. We used to used trash can liners when we made "Party Punch". I have read that the liners are very nearly sterile from manufacture. I won't use one again. Has onyone else had a problem like this?

This was my first tub of Red Sea Pro salt and it was the end of the tub, at that. I kept it sealed and had the internal bag sealed as well. Do you think buying smaller amounts would keep it fresher so that I don't run into this again?