Colonies vs Frags

mFrame

Obviously there is a lot of frag trading going on and some people have great success with propogating. Mark mentioned buying a colony and fragging it to try pieces in different parts of his aquarium. Others buy a colony with the idea of fragging and selling to recoup their cost. So my question is, are colonies more stable than frags or just a bigger investment? If you have a hard to keep item, does the size of the colony help insure its success?

(just noticed I've been posting in Want To Sell. Is there an easy way to move this to the correct category?)

IMO, Colonies are stronger than frags. Especially with SPS. SPS pieces get stronger the bigger the colony and bigger the frag the better. For some of the prices I see for SPS frags, if you can find a good colony at a good price, you can easily recoup your cost selling frags.

For zoas/LPS/softies, I think it is a toss up. I had a 30+ colony of zoas die and I've had a single zoa polyp become a colony. LPS can't seem to be hurt no matter what I do to them, ditto with softies (shrooms, rics).

While I agree colonies are generally more stable, I think the specific example you are citing (the African Blue Zoa's) is unique. I have read on other forums people having issues with keeps those specific zoa's alive.

I have found zoa frags to be super hardy (especially after my rough handling of them trying to glue them to a rock, then epoxy them into place in the tank).

If you are buying sps to add to your display I say go with frags. The reason for this is simple.....Frags are not as finicky when it comes to flow and flow IMO is the biggest reason fresh colonies added to a tank start to RTN/STN. I'm not saying lack of flow or too much flow is the cause, just different flow. For that reason I like to get frags and watch em grow in to big colonies.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/CatDi...&page_num=1

Those are Maricultured corals. Meaning they are place by man in the ocean, then grown. They are NOT frags. They are mini-colonies, and colonies. Those prices are GREAT. They don't have a specific name on them, hence their great prices. These will definitely fill out your tank.

-Brooks

Archived