Should I get out of this hobby?

Reybeast

Ok guys and gals, need some advice. A question occured to me over the weekend, "what will I have to show for all this money I have spent on reefkeeping?"

I'm really considering getting out of the hobby. It seems that I have put all this money into my tank, but what does it get me? Should I get a car to restore instead? Something that I will have to show for the money I have put into it? I have spent well over a thousand dollars (at least) and in hind sight, I feel guilty for having spent this money on fish,corals and equipment when I could have spent it on other items for my kids, family, help pay my mom's bills etc.

Do you ever feel this way?

Rey

I think everyone asks this question at some point or another. It might be right after a crash, or just due to boredom.

What made you get into the saltwater hobby in the first place? I think this should answer why you have spent so much time, energy, and money on your tank.

For me, it was the fascination with how much life is contained in every square inch of live rock. I like the little things in a reef. The interaction between animals such as clownfish/anemones, shrimp/gobies, etc. And the diversity of corals.

I have dropped out of keeping fish on and off over the 20+ years I have kept fish (fresh, salt, ponds). But there also seems to be a call again to return to the hobby.

Maybe you feel like you are no longer challenged with the tank. In that case, I say pull up a chair and just watch and enjoy the fruits of your hard work :)

It's a rough decision. I've battled with it also for about 7 or 8 years. When I started building my own tanks and DIY'ing my own equipment it revitalized my interests AND saved me a bunch of money AS WELL AS gave me some really marketable skills (woodworking, plumbing, electrical). You might wanna try going the DIY route for awhile and see if it makes you have more pride in the hobby.

Good luck and I feel for ya.

-Steve

My opinion on this is if you work for your money you should be able to spend it on something you enjo. Whats the point in working if you cant enjoy a little bit of what you work so hard for, and you do have something to show for it. Every time someone comes to my house and sees my tank the expressions, comments, questions, and compliments make it just that much more worth the money. Your avrage everyday person couldn't imagine having the ocean in their house, and we "reefers" have something that those people dont ... Guts enough to try our hand at owning a piece of the reef. Everyone deserves a hobby, most people have them.... Their going to spend their money on their hobby so we should be able spend our money on our hobby JMO. When its all said and done its your decision what you feel is best for you. I hope this helps.

Edited by JAY-ROC

what i get out of this hobby:

relaxation

knowledge

something amazing in your house

good people

and the list goes on and on.

I never can understand why people would want to get out of this hobby, i spend maybe 30 mins a week on both of my tanks and i make extra money by selling frags. You can keep your tanks and use the money from frags to help out with other things.

But if you truly feel you get nothing out of it i dont see how that will change with something else.

Great points, I do have one to add. Besides OWNING a reef, I feel that anything we can do to support captive bred/grown organisms, whether it is nice corals, fish or pretty spiders, we decrease the need to take these things from the wild. I personally have helped to increase the numbers of endangered creatures. Take that for investing in your's and everyone's future.

Whew you made me laugh...

You say that you are wondering what you have to show for all your money.....

I once had this hobby I called a 401k. See I put 20% of my income into this "other" money pit and I don't even get to touch it. Last I looked I was broke. At least with my tank it gives me something to do.

Isn't that the truth caferacermike! I actually told my hubby I was cutting my contributions in half so I can use the money to buy a bigger tank. I mean it's not really doing all that much right now and I've got less than half I did a year ago...very sad I tell ya. I could save for that new tank a lot faster...someone remind me to talk to HR tomorrow LOL.

Dena

Well I have almost given it up a couple of times over the past 6 years. It does seem like a money pit sometimes kinda like my boat did. Then someone comes over to my house and I get to explain everything that is going on in my tank. While im am doing this I get to see things that I had forgotten about and it really gives me a sense of accomplishment and wonder. Surprisely it really does relax me when I come home and just look at it.

I guess I can say no I've never felt that way. I almost died from handling my paly's and got my wife mad because I wouldn't sell em. I wear gloves when I'm in the tank, but no never felt like getting out. Where most people would have a tv I have my tank and it's nowhere near as nice as some of ya'lls, but it's mine and I love it.

Well, thanks y'all, I'm glad I'm not the only nut! :) I'm in for the long haul it seems. Last night is a good example, I wanted to write down the t5 bulbs I had, and I took them off just to see the brands and types, and that turned into cleaning the bulbs, reflectors, rearranging end caps etc, when I should have gone to bed.

I did enjoy it, and while it wasnt "fun" per se, it does give me the feeling of accomplishment that its mine to do with as I wish and these creatures are dependent on me for their well being.

So to turn this into reefkeeping discussion, I have a 90G oceanic 48Lx18dx24T with 6 t5 bulbs, here is what I have for bulbs.

Front:

ATI blueplus

Giesemann aquablue+

ATI blueplus

Giesemann aquablue+

Giesemann aquablue+

ATI Procolor

This is wayy to white for me. I would like to add one more ATI blueplus to give it more of a blue hue, perhaps even a super actinic?

Rey,

If you want those actinic bulbs I have let me know. You can pay me later, I don't care.

And we all go through those "phases" Heck I've been through it before sold everything off, hung around a few years and came back bigger and better. But if you look at it this hobby(like most) it is stupid when it comes to ROI. You'd be better off melting your money and pouring it down the drain. At least this way you'd control how fast your poured it out!

Well, thanks y'all, I'm glad I'm not the only nut! :blink: I'm in for the long haul it seems. Last night is a good example, I wanted to write down the t5 bulbs I had, and I took them off just to see the brands and types, and that turned into cleaning the bulbs, reflectors, rearranging end caps etc, when I should have gone to bed.

I did enjoy it, and while it wasnt "fun" per se, it does give me the feeling of accomplishment that its mine to do with as I wish and these creatures are dependent on me for their well being.

So to turn this into reefkeeping discussion, I have a 90G oceanic 48Lx18dx24T with 6 t5 bulbs, here is what I have for bulbs.

Front:

ATI blueplus

Giesemann aquablue+

ATI blueplus

Giesemann aquablue+

Giesemann aquablue+

ATI Procolor

This is wayy to white for me. I would like to add one more ATI blueplus to give it more of a blue hue, perhaps even a super actinic?

fiji purple! i have heard great things about that light