purpl monster bleaching

reeflover

i picked up this purple from Brian last nite and it is already bleaching now. It is such a short stock and i am not sure if i have to cut it in half. What can i do to stop it now. I put it in my tank after light went off so i know it is not due to light. Woke up this morning and that was what i saw. Dont want it to be a goner. All other sps are doing fine, no showing of bleaching at all. TIA

DSC_0404.jpg

Mine did the exact same thing when I bought it from Brian. All other frags acclimated just fine and they are all doing well.

It was just super sensitive I guess and having frags taken from it must have been too stressful.

-Steve

Edited by Nano_Steve

I've had my chance to get my hands on some purple monster but, everyone I know who has ever owned a colony of it loses it within a matter of months. Its just a severly sensitive coral. The colonies don't recover too well from being fraged and the frags them selves don't respond well to the change of a new environment.

Ouch...

Unfortunately, my oregon blue tort from Brian did the same thing. I put it in last night and this morning it was mostly gone due to RTN. Pretty sad, cause that was the main reason I went over there.

On the positive note, all my other frags from Brian are doing great though!

chiu

I went back to Brian's today and he was very understanding and gave me a new frag. He told me that he had taken a TON of frags from the colony (about 60) and it was just incredibly stressed out.

He also told me that it is an Oregon Tort not a Purple Monster, just FYI.

Thanks again Brian!

-Steve

A lot of the corals at Brian's have been through hell the last 2 days with the amount of cutting going on. If your piece has not gone away completely as of yet try sealing the good edges with super glue and try adding Iodide, (Lugol's), to your water as it's antiseptic qualities can help stave off infection.

Most of our frags are what I'd call "double cut" right now. Meaning that some lucky ******* beat us to the "tips". Being as they have been cut, say an hour before you got there, and are fresh on BOTH ends, I always like to seal the tops with super glue to prevent infections.

You also used a 2 part epoxy to mount your frag, I feel it is a big no-no. First you have to mash the frag into it with your finger tips. The pressure you place upon the frag can easily destroy it's delicate outer tissue. Handling frags should be as little as possible. Using super glue gel allows you to quickly place the frag unto a plug or small rock and allow it to set without squeezing it to death. Another frequent problem with 2 part epoxy is that it tends to heat up rapidly once mixed. It can, and has been shown to, burn away the delicate tissue near where it is inserted. This allows infections and algae to set in on the frag.

I hope your frag can recover, thankfully the prices were beyond reasonable and we all knew we were taking a bit of a risk as the original post did outline some of the problems being encountered, thus the reason for the tank tear-down. Talk to Brian, if he can he will probably try to help you. I bought 2 frags of Oregon Tort only to lose one last night myself. If possible I will either buy 2 frags or 1 large frag so that I can cut it. This way I can place 2 frags in my tank at differing locations hoping that one will make it if not both.

I bought 2 frags of Oregon Tort only to lose one last night myself.

I feel a little better now that I know I was not the only one to lose an oregon tort. I felt terrible thinking it was something I did wrong, since I got a nice size piece (not to say that it still might have been my fault).

I was also thinking that I should have bought two yesterday! Oh well, live and learn...

it is a gonner, i came home from work and it was already white and only skeleton remains. at least i know i am not the only one. thanks for sharing your story. Will try again when i get another dips.

Hey Steve

sorry to hear you lost your second one. I really like that oregon tort ( you are right, it is not purple monster as i thought). I usually very carefull when acclimate new fresh cut frag to my tank, but this sps is more sensitive that i thought. It is just one of the hard one.

It was nice meeting you last nite.

I think I got lucky and got a piece of Oregon tort that wasn't part of the master colony. My piece only has a smart vertical growth, but has grown a substantial base on the piece of LR that I took with it.

Interesting read mike about fragging and such. Good stuff to know!