Turbos in the overflow?

chrisfowler99

I might be super confused here but last I checked my return line was in my tank, not my overflow.

If are worried about the suction line then no it won't affect the flow. Not sure what you'll find at the Depot cause I'm not sure what size your pipe is.

If you have access to a table saw or at least a drill but some nice ones are easy to make. Lower the blade to about 1/2" and make several cuts across the pipe making slits. You can also drill several 1/4" holes along the pipe. Push a cap on the end and insert it into your fitting.

I might be super confused here but last I checked my return line was in my tank, not my overflow.

If are worried about the suction line then no it won't affect the flow. Not sure what you'll find at the Depot cause I'm not sure what size your pipe is.

If you have access to a table saw or at least a drill but some nice ones are easy to make. Lower the blade to about 1/2" and make several cuts across the pipe making slits. You can also drill several 1/4" holes along the pipe. Push a cap on the end and insert it into your fitting.

I actually drop a couple of turbos in my overflow box when algae starts to bloom in there. I havn't used anything to block the syphon, but my turbos are large and wouldn't fit through the "U" tubing anyways. They never go beyond the water level, so I let em' eat as much as possible within 3-4 hours then just pull em' out. Its the same in the box behind my tank. Two prefilter sponges block their access to the overflow holes. If you don't want to risk it then yeah block off the area.

Nope...you're not confused. I am...or at least my fingers are. Meant to type drain... ^_^

It's a 1" durso, so the "hole" I'm worried about is on the bottom of a 90 degree piece.

I figure anything I added on the bottom of that would slow the drain.

I was thinking of just maybe putting a small piece of netting over it. Should keep the snail(s) out and not block it really much at all.

Think about this, 4x 1/4" holes drilled into a piece of pipe with a cap on it equals 1". Just drill about 10 holes in a 6" piece of PVC, push a cap on it-no need to glue, and push that into your drain.

your math is bad, but your logic is right.

It will take 16 1/4" holes to have the same area as a 1" hole.

I've got PVC and extra caps lying around. Should be simple to do. cool.gif

Thanks for the idea.