Water mixing container

Robb in Austin

Howdy all,

I use a ~18g Robbermaid container for mixing new SW. With all the GHA/cyano/red slime issues I'm having

I was thinking I should clean my container, just to ensure it is not contributing to the problem.

I figured I could use a small amount of bleach and some water as a soak and then a lot of rinsing(like BFS had me do

to my RODI canisters when I changed the filters.)

Anyone have other thoughts?

Back in the late 80's when I had my first SW tank, everyone used coral skeletons as LR. However, the pride then was to have the cleanest, WHITEST rock you could have so people would bleach their LR/Coral to make them whiter.

I'd bleach the corals skeletons once a month. To remove the bleach, I'd soak it in a bucket of water mixed in with "Fritz Guard" which is still available today. 20 min soak would remove the bleach. Then I'd rinse it - a lot.

Bleach is a nasty substance. 1 Tbsp in a bath tub of water will knock out nearly anything on your skin. So don't use much!

You can use white vinegar as well. I use this on everything thing. If you use bleach, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, then repeat. Let dry throughly before reusing.

Yep - we use baking soda as the main abrasive, and a bit of vinegar with it on the tough parts. Scrub with a paper towel. Works great, removes even the toughest stains from glass and plastic trim without scratching. And it washes clean away. (Use a bit more baking soda on it if you detect any remaining vinegar smell. ^_^

If you do choose to use bleach, use small amounts of it, be sure you get the kind that does not have detergent in it, and use a chlorine remover product

rather liberally in the rinse cycle.

-Paul