Anxiously awaiting my newest addition: Rhinomuraena quaesita

KaceyJ

They are excellent escape artists, so be sure to have the tank locked down tight on top. Filter overflows, sumps, floor, you name it. I hated when I worked at a LFS (well, not local to here :) ) and we got them in... they always found their way into the sumps of our systems.

Edit: but they are nice looking! Aren't they the ones were the male and female are different colors (like blue for one, and yellow for the other?).

Edited by seahorsejl

I read a thread on wetwebmedia about someone who had 2 years and ongoing success keeping this species. It was in a reef with a DSB and a complex PVC tunnel system. he fed his using whole fish, shrimp, silversides ect. Better read than most articles.

I have a ton of experience with them. You should see the pics of my old tank. I succesfully kept 1 for over 2 years and 3 others with it for almost a year before I had a tank meltdown.

I cannot express just how much you should not get one.

They are not at all easy to care for and it is not even just a matter of "hit or miss" as to whether it will feed. It is almost certain it will not. It took a lot of work and trickery to get the one to eat, but luckily if you can get one to eat it will train others to eat. You will only be considered "successful" if you can get it on frozen silversides. They may take ghost shrimp but will not last long at all on that diet.

Mine fed directly from my hand, 3 silversides a day, each.

I have a ton of experience with them.

You really like the challenging stuff, don't you? :D Ribbon eels, octopi... I really admire the amount of time and research you put into keeping these harder species.