Custom Stand

Nathan Explosion

So I have decided to take on building my own stand. The only for sure thing I have rite now is the top. My friend works for a granite shop in my town and I traded some electrical work for a granite top. Its 1 1/2" thick and its 28" x 55" ( I wanted to see some of the granite :whistle: ) But the dimensions of the stand are still up in the air. I know I want to keep it as low as possible for cleaning reasons, but tall enough for the underside for sumps and skimmers and pumps and ect. I plan on going almost no expenses spared on the filtration system. Nice sump with a large skimmer, there will be a light under the tank, there will be switches and recepticals on the inside of the stand. There will also be large access spots in the fornt and back for servicing of equipment. Anything anyone else would reccomend for the stand? Type of wood (treated or nontreated) heights? Any good blueprints out there? For weight of tank and all I was told to expect about 1200lbs, is that accurate? I just want to do things right this time!

Take a look a the stand I built in my blog.

It should have a link to where I found my plans.

It's for my 75, but it's probably the same dimensions for your 90.

It's rock solid and very open at the front and back.

Wow! Thats exactly what I need. I can wire about anything, but when it comes to framing in something there are some grey areas!

If I were building this, I think I would do a metal skeleton frame with a fully removable wood skin. This way it carries all of the weight you need, and you can access anything in the sump area.

I did think about using a metal frame with like 2" ridged pipe for support and then welding cross bracing ect... then have a wooden exterior that just used magnets to hold it in place, it would be easy to remove and would require the least amout of cutting and welding. that might be a thought.