blue tang stung by urchin

AndrewT

I noticed that my blue tang had a white spot on his side (more of a small white patch than spot) earlier. As i examined it a little closer i noticed a black dot in the middle. The dot looks to be a spine which may have broke from my long spine urchin. Is the tang in any danger? Does the spine need to be removed? How the heck would i even go about doing that? what do i do?

If you really think it is an urchin spine stuck in there, it probably is best to take it out (don't long spine urchins have poison in their spines?).

The only way I can think of is to catch the fish, and use a pair of tweezers to remove the spine. I know, sounds easier said than done. But this is going to be extremely stressful to the fish.

I would probably be near 100% sure that it is a piece of spine before doing something like that. I have heard (maybe on this board?) that lack of vegetation in their diets can cause black spots on tangs.