Need Opinions on a light

Rjohn

I found this light on Ebay and I would like yall's opinions. I have an 80 gallon bowfront. Go to Ebay and in the search box type in: 500w 48" halide

Tell me what you think.

Wo, that is really cheap! Which makes me really suspicious :)

The first thing that seems really iffy is the mention of a single cooling fan. These things get hot...

I paid $400 for a 300W fixture from Dr.F&S.

Maybe someone else has experience with these.

It looks like all the ones on ebay using the search parameters are made by Odyssea. I don't have any experience with this brand. I think someone was selling some lights by this brand a few weeks ago.

I think that the fellow selling this really means that 'All Sales Final" bit - meaning not even a no-DOA guarantee. You totally risk loosing $200 plus shipping on this.

I thought about buying one and contacted the seller - he was really arrogant about not providing even a DOA guarantee. And if you read through the feedback, there are at least 17 people who are unhappy with him over the past year, and a LOT of the positive feedback looks like it came from the same group of non-English speaking people.

Lastly, these turn out to be the "Odyysea" lights, which are knockoffs of Coralights, I think. (YMMV...) When you get a well made unit, they are alright, though apparently known for problems with fans and less than stellar quality bulbs that peak just a bit lower than they really should. But - you run the risk of getting a piss poor one, or one that was mishandled, and again, you have no recourse with the seller.

If you do decide to buy it, please do pay for it with a credit card through PayPal - at least that way, you might stand a chance of getting your money back if the thing is a true turkey.

Caveat emptor! is the watchword here.

-Paul

P.S. I much prefer caveat venditor myself... cool.gif

Archived