Would my goby mind a gramma?

ejaustin

I added my shrimp / goby pair about 10 days ago and they've settled in nicely. I want to add something that will occupy more of the mid-water column. Needs to be something that will stay small (29 gallon tank). I'm considering a royal gramma. Most places say they are peaceful and get along well with fish-not-their-kind, but I wonder if territorial disputes might arise. Does anyone have experience have these two species together in a small tank?

If not a royal gramma, what would other good candidates be? I'm thinking a fish, small, colorful, mostly hangs out mid-water. Preferably someone who might be out in the daytime.

Thanks for your collective wisdom.

ej

I think a Royal Gramma would do fine. They tend to stick to the mid-upper part of the tank, well away from the bottom where your goby/shrimp pair live.

The only thing is, the gramma might hide in the rock work.

If you want something that is out all of the time, you might consider some type of clownfish (most of peaceful, though something like Tomato clowns can be aggressive). A Sixline wrasse is also a peaceful fish that is out-and-about during the day.

Well, I ended up getting a red scooter blenny. I'm hoping he will stay up higher on the rockwork so he and the goby can each have their space. I don't think they've seen each other yet. (The goby and shrimp are using the back door today.) The blenny has spent about half his time on the rock and about half his time on the sand. I'm hopeful that the two of them will be able to come to terms. I also added a small frag of GSP that has a little purplish-blue xenia with it, and a cool neon blue-green mushroom.

So I think my tank is pretty much set now. I'll just watch it and give things a chance to grow out and feel at home.

Thanks to all the folks at ARC who have given me their opinions and to Octavio at RCA who helped me today.

ej