I-Tech Skimmer

Scoob

I talked to them a couple weeks ago. These things are supposed to be AWESOME! There is a thread on RC about them. I talk to the guy (John If I can remeber right) On the phone for 20 mins about his skimmers and his plan for the company. This guy knows his stuff! They are working on a deal with Tunze, and a new venturi design for Tunze pump to pair with the I-Techs. OH and the prices are very reasonable for the cone style skimmer! Let us know what you think when you get it! Are you goning to run the aquabee,tunze, or sedra? What size did you order?

I ordered direct from john at I-tech, and yes he knows his stuff. www.I-techskimmers.com

I went with the 400 with 2 sicces, he still doesn't have the tunzes available yet for the 400 skimmer. Nothing but good reviews on the thing.

I will keep you updated, I need to find the power cable for my camera so I can get some pics up when I get it.

If you don't mind me asking, what did the 400 model cost?

I added it to my consideration list. Please provide feedback/updates as you break it in.

My tank upgrade is a few months away, so I'll be tracking the progress of this model, especially if they switch to using Tunze pumps as planned.

They are definitely trying to work the tunze pumps in. I believe you can get the 100 with a tunze now. I still have a lot of work to do before I can even put this thing to work

I am just going to copy and paste the 2 skimmers he gave me prices on :

Model 200 Cone Skimmer

Cone Base: 8”

Cone Neck: 3 ½”

Overall Height: 23” (needs an extra 1/2” clearance for cup removal)

Footprint without pump: 11 ¼” x 8 ½”

Recommended Pump: Sicce PSK-2500

Inlet: female ¾” PVC pipe threaded

Recommended water level: 6” to 7” (a stable water level will increase performance and decrease adjustments)

Body Price: $400 (pump and venturi purchased separately.)

Recommended pumps (pick one)

Tunze 9420.04 Hydrofoamer

· Needle-wheel impeller

· Skimmer and pump footprint: TBA

· Airdraw: TBA

Tunze 9420.04 MSRP $187.83 (Includes pump, needle wheel and venturi) There may need to alteration of the pricing due to extra costs incurred making the pumps compatible with the bodies. Testing will begin shortly. Result will be announced ASAP.

- or –

CoralVue Sicce PSK-2500

· Needle-wheel impeller

· Skimmer and pump footprint: 12 ¾” x 11”

· Airdraw: At startup ~600 lph @ 19w in 6 ¼” water depth.

CoralVue Sicce $129.99 purchased with body. (Includes pump, needle wheel and venturi)

This combination works very well in my opinion. Unfortunately, Sicce pumps can be highly variable in noise production after being modified for protein skimmer use. Over time as the pump breaks in, the noise typically decreases. To counter the variance a silencer/muffler is included.

Model 400 Cone Skimmer

Cone Base: 10”

Cone Neck: 4 ½”

Overall Height: 24” (needs an extra 1/2” clearance for cup removal)

Footprint without pump: 12 5/8” x 10”

Recommended Pump: NA

Inlet: female ¾” PVC pipe

Recommended water level: 7” (a stable water level will increase performance and decrease adjustments)

Body Price: $500 (pump and venturi purchased separately.)

Recommended pumps (pick one set)

Tunze 9420.04 Hydrofoamer (x2)

· Needle-wheel impeller

· Skimmer and pump footprint: TBA

· Airdraw: TBA

Tunze 9420.04 MSRP $187.83 each. (Includes pump, needle wheel and venturi) There may need to alteration of the pricing due to extra costs incurred making the pumps compatible with the bodies. Testing will begin shortly. Result will be announced ASAP.

- or –

CoralVue Sicce PSK-2500 (x2)

· Needle-wheel impeller

· Skimmer and pump footprint: 15” x 13 ½”

· Airdraw: At startup ~1200 lph @ 38w in 6 ¼” depth of water.

CoralVue Sicce $129.99(x2) purchased with body. (Includes pump, needle wheel and venturi)

This combination works very well in my opinion. Unfortunately, Sicce pumps can be highly variable in noise production after being modified for protein skimmer use. Over time as the pump breaks in, the noise typically decreases. To counter the variance a silencer/muffler is included.

Prices do not include applicable taxes and shipping. Cost of shipping has been $20-$30 depending on model and destination.

I hate sizing skimmers based upon gallons. Handling capacity is more about bioload than water volume. Since I’m a nutrient export freak my recommendations are a little conservative. The model number is the largest tank in gallons that I would recommend the skimmer for.

My site, www.i-techskimmers.com is up a running. It is a community based forum for the exchange of information on all things i-Tech.

• 4 weeks later...

I still need to get a couple more things before I can get the tank up and running. The main things are some vortechs and some live rock and i'll be good to go for cycling. I still want to get some better lighting as well.

I will probably order the vortechs tomorrow and I haven't really found a good source on some live rock, looking for some that is very porous. I have about 100 pounds of dead marshall island rock.

The skimmer has dual sicci pumps with some upgraded pinwheel, they are drawing 720 lph each

• 3 weeks later...

I have been running the skimmer for a little over 2 weeks and so far it kicks ***.

Very easy to setup, clean, and adjust. I was going to give it a little more time before I posted my final thought on it, but it is doing everything it should be doing. Definitely pulling the nasties out