High Salinity

dapettit

WOW! I used my new salinity refactormeter. For both my 29 and my 150 the reading for both tanks:

SG - 1.030 or 40 ppt.

I would like to lower it to 1.024 or 30 ppt.

Accordin to this calculator (Salinity) I need to add 4.5 gallons of RO/DI water. I know I need to do this slowly? Should I drip this or do a gallon every couple of hours?

Dave-

I had this issue as well (high SG). What I did was to pull 1 gallon of salt water out per day (135g DT) and replaced with RO/DI water. It took a few days, but it kept anything from getting shocked by the sudden change.

I had this issue as well (high SG). What I did was to pull 1 gallon of salt water out per day (135g DT) and replaced with RO/DI water. It took a few days, but it kept anything from getting shocked by the sudden change.

Since it is so high, drop it slowly as above. Works great!

WOW! I used my new salinity refactormeter. For both my 29 and my 150 the reading for both tanks:

SG - 1.030 or 40 ppt.

I would like to lower it to 1.024 or 30 ppt.

Accordin to this calculator (Salinity) I need to add 4.5 gallons of RO/DI water. I know I need to do this slowly? Should I drip this or do a gallon every couple of hours?

Dave-

We keep ours at 35 ppt.

There's a great article on Salinity levels :http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/rhf/index.php

Thanks for the article. I have booked marked it for future reference.

I did a 40 galloon water change in the 150 (180 counting sump/fuge). The salinity of the saltwater mix was 1.027 which is around 37 ppt.

Here are the other readings on the mix:

Ph 8.3

dKH 9

mg 1116 ( a little low)

cal 480

0 on phosphate, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites

I tested the water the tank water this morning at the salinity reading is still 40 ppt.

I did some research about lowering salinity so I will be pulling 1 gallon of tank water and replacing it with 1 gallon RO/DI water. I will take a reading in the evening of each day until I get to 35 ppt.

Thanks for all your advice. I will keep you posted.

Dave-

Archived