blonde tang

don duncan

This morning I went to feed my fish only tank and could not find my Blonde Naso.

I looked around only to find it hiding in the corner of the tank laying down on the bottom.

It is still alive as I can see it breathing. Just lays there, sometimes righting itself.

I have had it for several months with no prior issues. Any suggestions?

This morning I went to feed my fish only tank and could not find my Blonde Naso.

I looked around only to find it hiding in the corner of the tank laying down on the bottom.

It is still alive as I can see it breathing. Just lays there, sometimes righting itself.

I have had it for several months with no prior issues. Any suggestions?

Anything amiss in tank parameters? Salinity, temp, ammonia, etc?

Edited by seahorsejl

The fish passed away last night.

You are not the only person this has happened to with blonde Naso's.

We raised one form a baby to full length over a year's time, in a system with a total water volume of

215+ 125 +38 + 10 = 378 gal. and it was fine until one day - it simply stopped eating heartily, and died within a week thereafter.

No other fish in the tank were affected, no other creatures in the tank were affected.

I have heard/read other stories of sudden inexplicable death associated with the blonde naso.

It may well be that we still do not have adequate knowledge to keep this species in captivity long term,

or if someone does, that there's some vitamin / mineral depletion we are not all aware of (myself included)

that's needed by this fish.

Of course, it could also be internal parasites / pathogens we just can't see.