Hitchhiker

Kkiel02

I was messing with my cheato the other day and found a small brown crab on the cheato. I tried to take a picture but the crab is too small for my camera. It looks different than any crab I've seen, it looks like it has a beak to it in the front. Any ideas? It's maybe the size of a dime.

I was messing with my cheato the other day and found a small brown crab on the cheato. I tried to take a picture but the crab is too small for my camera. It looks different than any crab I've seen, it looks like it has a beak to it in the front. Any ideas? It's maybe the size of a dime.

I trust NO hitcher crabs...there are too many bad ones to chance it...just MHO...unless you can positively ID it as an emerald crab/ masked acropora crab/ arrow crab...I would kill the *******....but that is just me

Because there are GOOD hitch hiker crabs such as the acro crab. This critter lives among the branches of SPS protecting it from small intruders and also helps keep the coral clean. In return not much can eat the crab as it is well protected amongst the branches. Not easy to come by but definitely worth keeping.

He's in my sump so I'm going to let him be for now and see if I come across anything like him. Difinately not an emerald kind of has that same structure but with that long snout and no fuzz on the legs.