What's the best way to get sand off of rocks?

chrisfowler99

Because if you put the rock in and then put sand in it makes a stronger base for the rock and hold it more securely.

And I've heard stories of digging fish digging under rocks and then have them fall over crushing them or others.

I'd rather have my rocks on the glass and be more stable.

The "book answer" is that you want to put your rock in first and then your sand. This is supposedly because rock placed on top of sand causes dead spots that create poor anaerobic areas that will eventually kill everything in the tank. Now that is what some of the books claim. The idea is to pack the sand around the rock so that the weight of the rock does not pack the sand together so tightly that water will not flow through it. The main problem I see with this is that your sharp pointed areas of your rock are now touching the glass bottom. Keep packing the weight on and it is all transferred to these points, thus causing stress that may crack your tank. Don't worry because the books say to place egg crate on the bottom of the tank first so that the rock won;t be directly on the glass.

Personally I like to put about 1" of sand down first and then my rock. However I don't put the water in before the sand. That way I can place it where I want with a large spoon or other instrument.