Which sand to get

Robb in Austin

Howdy all,

Looking for input on which sand to use in the soon to be 75.

My current setup uses pulverized limestone and it is too fine, almost like silt. I'd like larger grain but not chunky either.

Anyone have a fave? Pics of what you are using?

TIA,

Robb

Just had another thought. Could/should I move my current sand over and place larger stuff on top? That way I don't lose my current sandbed critters.

My favorite is Caribsea special Grade. Most of it is 1mm grain size and it works pretty well and looks pretty. The only down side is it is expensive. My last tank has crushed limestone that I filtered most of the small stuff out. I just kept washing it until most of the smaller (silt) stuff was gone. I think if you wash crushed limestone enough you can end up with larger material. The only problem is you have to be patient and use a lot of water. It also helps to work on small batches at a time. A good screen would probably go a long way to speeding it up now that I think about it. :shiftyninja:

I run bare bottom currently. It was the easiest (not prettiest though) solution so I could run 40+ turnover. I am thinking about adding a third K4 to get it into the 60's.

Howdy all,

Looking for input on which sand to use in the soon to be 75.

My current setup uses pulverized limestone and it is too fine, almost like silt. I'd like larger grain but not chunky either.

Anyone have a fave? Pics of what you are using?

TIA,

Robb

Just had another thought. Could/should I move my current sand over and place larger stuff on top? That way I don't lose my current sandbed critters.

There is probably enough crap/detritus in your current sand that if you move it all over, it would release all that junk into your new tank. My suggestion would be to preserve some of it - say 2-3# to seed your new sand, and kill the rest, then add it to you tank.

When I setup my tank, I used the Caribsea Oolithic Aragonite. With my flow, I hated how it always got pulled up into the water column.

I ended up purchasing some Tropic Eden (Reefflakes) to put about 1/4" over my current bed to weigh it down.

I'm very happy with the sand. It was very clean. In the future if I ever start a new tank, I plan to use it entirely. Do half of the Mini Flakes and half of the Reef Flakes and that should be perfect. I purchased mine through Premium Aquatics.

http://www.tropic-eden.com/english/substrates.html