What to do...

Robb in Austin

So here is the deal. We've been taking down FW tanks and now I have an empty 75 that I will convert to SW. I have a red devil/midas/petsmart hybrid cichlid in another 75 that needs a new tank. So I took down the Malawi tank and planned on drilling it and converting it to SW. The Mrs suggested moving the rd/m/pm fish into it, buying a replacement 75 and using that for SW.

Problem 1: neither 75 stand is RR(one sorta is; meaning has no top but the openings don't line up with any RR tanks I see on line.) The nice 75 stand is solid top and I'm not sure if it can be safely sawed to make RR(Jake, if you read this, I bought the stand from y'all a few years ago. It came from someone in Dallas, kinds looks like the Deep Sea cabinets but no door on the end. All plywood construstion. Thoughts?)

So my dilemma.

Do I buy a standard 75, drill the side, make a nice overflow of some sort or do I buy a RR tank and modify the nice stand?

Upgrading to bigger and better is not really an option(I sure wish it was though.)

Help me out here folks! I dunno what to do. ;)

So here is the deal. We've been taking down FW tanks and now I have an empty 75 that I will convert to SW. I have a red devil/midas/petsmart hybrid cichlid in another 75 that needs a new tank. So I took down the Malawi tank and planned on drilling it and converting it to SW. The Mrs suggested moving the rd/m/pm fish into it, buying a replacement 75 and using that for SW.

Problem 1: neither 75 stand is RR(one sorta is; meaning has no top but the openings don't line up with any RR tanks I see on line.) The nice 75 stand is solid top and I'm not sure if it can be safely sawed to make RR(Jake, if you read this, I bought the stand from y'all a few years ago. It came from someone in Dallas, kinds looks like the Deep Sea cabinets but no door on the end. All plywood construstion. Thoughts?)

So my dilemma.

Do I buy a standard 75, drill the side, make a nice overflow of some sort or do I buy a RR tank and modify the nice stand?

Upgrading to bigger and better is not really an option(I sure wish it was though.)

Help me out here folks! I dunno what to do. :D

that all depends are you a real "DIY" kinda guy if so.....project time!!!!! (my personal preference)

however....

If you buy a RR tank then all the blood (oh yes there will be blood) sweat and tears is mostly taken care of...not to mention the R & D that goes into most RR off-the-shelf tanks

so...personal call really

what I would do is:

Buy RR tank

Make custom stand and hood (or modify existing....i'd make a new one)

best of both worlds

and making a stand is pretty easy as long as you have the tools and have some general knowledge of building things

and try and get a RR with a coast-to-coast/Calfo overflow ;)

No pics of the "nice stand".

I've talked with Prof about drilling, so I'd use his expertise if I go that route.

I'd like to use the Calfo style just to avoid taking up space inside.

DIY is the obvious cheaper route...and more rewarding in the long run

DIY is the obvious cheaper route...and more rewarding in the long run

Do it Yourself is also more flexible then getting a "ready made" RR tank. you can really get more of "the tank you really want" when you make/modify it yourself.

(p.s. - look for pictures of that little stretch hex acrylic tank on ARC soon ;) )

Well, thanks to Prof, I'm even more conflicted.

I thought I had decided to buy a standard, drill the back, Calfo it, make the "silent & failsafe" overflow from RC and be happy.

Prof says it will be cheaper just to buy a RR and drill the stand.

So, those of you with standard RR setups, how loud are they?