niger trigger

mikemcd

Okay,

How many folks out there have a Niger Trigger in their tank? I have a 90G setup that I would like to put both a Niger Trigger and a Hippo Tang in. I wouldn't classify my tanks as Reef, but they are not FOWLR either as I have soft corals (Xenia, polyps, mushrooms, kenya trees, ricordia and frogspawn) in both. Also, the tank currently houses a couple of damsels, foxface, royal gramma, six line wrasse, a chromis, tomato clown, and maybe 40 or 50 lbs of live rock.

What has been your experience with them? I have heard mostly positive feedback.

Reason I ask is I know they are supposed to be some of the better triggers to put in a community tank, but they are triggers.

I have had first hand experience getting attacked by triggers @ the beach (shallow reef) @ Andersen AFB, Guam. At certain times of year (and I believe it's when they are mating/breeding), they will make a beeline for you when you are snorkeling in their territories. They are very protective and aggressive.....definitely a memorable experience...

anyway, if you have experience and opinions/feedback on this I would appreciate it.

Michael McDermott

I have a Niger in my 72gal bowfront. It is about 5 1/2 inches. It lives more or less peacefully with a false precula, 2 chromis, foxface, 6line wrasse, yellow tang, and most of the soft corals you mentioned and several peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. He eats anything I put in the tank - mysis, brine, flake, algae. I haven't had any problems with him at all except he sometimes nips my fingers when I feed them flake.