Treating Hypo

Kkiel02

So I have been doing quite a bit of reading on this and decided I want to keep my qt tank around 1.012 as a percaution in the future and presently to take out what looks like ich. Right now it is about 1.016. Anyone else have any advise or suggestions about this?

This is what I know so far, that this low salinity stresses out the parasite and they cannot survive in this enviroment. The problem is that some parasites burrow in the fish skin and this is why you must wait the 3 weeks in order to make sure the parasite comes in contact with the water.

It can also be beneficial to do fresh water dips from time to time during the QT as it will cause any ich near the surface to immediately let go of the fish. There is the added benefit of the fish shedding it's, slime coat. The ich will be pulled away from the fish as the coat is shed. There is some truth in what you've read. I just haven't heard the part about leaving the fish in low salinity for an extended period of time. What you've read goes along with common knowledge that ich can take 3-4 weeks to create a true life cycle.

Will do on bringing the salinity up. I read(about leaving the qt that low) that in The New Marine Aquarium, i think that what it is called. I will try the fresh water dips as one clown looks like it has quite a few white spots hopefully they will release!