Evaporative Cooling

subsea

The evaporation of 1 pound of water transfers 1000 BTU's of cooling to the water. One gallon evaporation per hour transfers 8400 BTU and is equivalent to 2/3 HP chiller running non stop. One ton or refrigeration is equal to 12,000 BTU/HR, which is equal to about 1 HP. Most hoobiest chillers are rated for a 50% duty cycle. It would take a 1 HP chiller or bigger to equal the heat removal of 1 gallon per hour of evaporation.

In a previous system, which I ran outdoors in SW Louisiana, I was able to maintain all temperatures below 79 degrees. On a 500 gallon system, I required about 5 gallons of make up water per day.

Pat

For an indoor system, what ways would you try to get more evaporation? Would you just try and lower the humidity in the air someway? Just wondering, mine stays at 79 in the display tank.

P.S. Isnt 5 gallons a day pretty normal for that big of an aquarium?

For an indoor system, what ways would you try to get more evaporation? Would you just try and lower the humidity in the air someway? Just wondering, mine stays at 79 in the display tank.

P.S. Isnt 5 gallons a day pretty normal for that big of an aquarium?

The air water interface is a big factor to assist evaporation. In the display tank, move air across the surface. Also, vent heat from light fixtures before it transfers BTU to water. Any overflows that cascade water, assist with oxygen exchange also assist with evaporation if you remove this damp air. Some people allow the central unit to remove the moisture. Some people use duct work to remove the moist air to an exterior area and blow conditioned air from the house.

In my previous set-up, I had 100 gallon display tank in the house with therest of the system in the garage. Three 75 gallon refugiums for a source of food and two 4' by 4' by 1' deep propagation troughs. With the large surface area of the propagation troughs it was easy to cool off the system even in 90% humidity. No chillers. I did have a back-up system in which I used 68 degree aquifier water as a once through heat exchanger through several hundred feet 0f 3/8" plastic tubing.

Pat