Fragging a Moon coral

offroadodge

It'd be great if you can post a pic of the coral or a link to a similar one so nobody confuses a common name. I believe you are referring to a brain coral like a favite with small heads tightly meshed together. If so the answer is yes. They do well if you cut them cleanly with a tile saw and then allow them to heal for several weeks in the tank they were doing well in before offering the frag. Chisels will work but can tear the tissue creating a delay in the healing process.

That's what's fun about "common names" everyone I know would just call that Kryptonite candy cane or trumpet. The moon corals I've seen were in reference to favite brains with small compact heads. That coral is very easy to frag. You should be able to find individual, or groups of, heads with exposed skeleton near the base. You just nip it there with a pair of wire dykes or bone cutters. No need for healing time at all unless you tear some flesh.

I'd be interested in trading cash for a frag when you get there.

that sounds good, ill let ya know about the frag. Figured i could frag it cause it has seperate skeletons but hvnt seen it done on one. The problem is that it has gotten so big since that picture that its dying off, like a few heads look like teh hv just exploded. So i wanted to try and frag all i can to either trade sell. I have been feeding each head mysis shrimp individually once a week plus teh usual reefroids. i would need to get some plugs and glue to frag it.

What type of lighting are you using? And how are you feeding the heads? Do you turn off the pumps and just place the mysis over the mouths?

I have what appears to be the same coral, but he hasn't grown much. He's currently under PC lighting and I can never seem to get him to eat.

Thanks for any tricks of the trade you may have.

-Travis

that sounds good, ill let ya know about the frag. Figured i could frag it cause it has seperate skeletons but hvnt seen it done on one. The problem is that it has gotten so big since that picture that its dying off, like a few heads look like teh hv just exploded. So i wanted to try and frag all i can to either trade sell. I have been feeding each head mysis shrimp individually once a week plus teh usual reefroids. i would need to get some plugs and glue to frag it.

Well as far as feeding them,usually i do it on saturday morning when i get up B4 the lights come on. I mix up some reefroids to get them intersted in eating, they usually have there feeler tenticles out already. Then i take a frozen cube of mysis shrimp and thaw it out in just a little bit of water(just enuff to disolve). Then i take a pair of tweezers and grab a piece and place it in the tenticles, its pretty cool how they grab on to it. Once the head has it just move to the next. And so on. Its not like u have to feed them all but i did and it went from having 30 heads to over 100 in a little over a year.

The light i have is T5 (8x54W) half blue, half daylight. Nothing spectacular but it works. Tried MHs but tank go to hot, dont have a chiller. Now i still have too run a small fan across the top of the water to cool the light and water. This idea cooled my tank off about 5 degrees from 82-85 to around 77-79. The fan comes on when the lights come on during the day. I also cycle the lighting, when i get ready to leave the house i turn on the moon lights to kinda wake up the corals(7am), the around 9am the actinics come on, then around 10:30am the daylights come on.(Now there all on all day) Afternoon, around 6:30pm the daylights go off, 7:30ish the actinics go off, and when i go to bed i turn the moon lights off. Sounds crazy but gradually waking the corals up has workd well 4 me. Everyone has diffrnt opinions. Hope this has helpd or struck up an idea for ya.