Super Cheap Lighting

Rjohn

Has anyone else seen the super cheap lighting listed on Ebay? Go to Ebay and type in "aquarium led". There are 216 watt 48 inch T5 for $99 and 500 watt MH in a 48 inch fixture for $199. What's wrong with this picture?

My thought was: Let's pool some money and order a light. Then if we can find an real electrician, get him to inspect it and see if it meets American standards. If it doesn't, figure out what would we have to do to bring it up to code, if that is possible at all. Any ideas?

Years ago I had a friend that was bringing in the Jebo line of crap. When the units arrived they had no identification on the unit, on the box, nor instructions. The reason was simple. The manufacturer wanted the sellers to do all of the marketing, hence the cheap price. What he did was order a thousand metallic stickers with his brand name on them, printed a thousand 8x11 labels for the boxes and ordered 1,000 UL LISTED stickers from a Chinese distributor, and also printed out 1,000 instruction sheets with his company name address and phone number. In essence he sold junk under his name. He actually was able to take advantage of the controversy of Jebo units catching on fire. He countered that his products were superior in every way to Jebo products and that his were even "UL LISTED". It was a total scam and he was able to rake it in.

Just try and remember, you get what you pay for. Generally it's just not worth it.

i bought a light like that off ebay and it was the best buy i made, 8 T5 and 6 blue LEd moon light all in one fixture. The bulbs that come with it are crap, so I replace them with Giesemann Pwr chrome Actinics and 10k whites. and the fixture puts out an enourmous amount of light. Had No problem growing stonies(just put them up in top portion of tank. The LEDS are variable intensity with a switch control. Has seperate cords for daylight and actinic bulbs. All in all i love the light i bought. When i got it, it was in a CATALINA LIGHTING box. Maybe this is the same light your talking about.