Pics of New Solana

Fragen_Unreal

Hey all,

Just wanted to post some pics of my new Solana, up and running with LR, sand, and water. I hope to look into a cleanup crew in about a week or so.

Thanks to prof for the stand; I'm lovin' it. And Thanks to reef_newbie for the live rock; it looks great. I can't wait to start putting some livestock in, but I know patience is key.

Let me know what you all think about the rock setup. Thanks.

P.S. I was wondering if a cup of live sand from someone's established tank would help mine; what do you all think and is anyone willing to part with a cup or so?

post-806-1235278537_thumb.jpg

post-806-1235278576_thumb.jpg

post-806-1235278606_thumb.jpg

post-806-1235278633_thumb.jpg

P.S. I was wondering if a cup of live sand from someone's established tank would help mine; what do you all think and is anyone willing to part with a cup or so?

Taking sand from a more well-established tank wouldn't hurt, but it also wouldn't benefit greatly. Most likely it would just quicken the start of your ammonia-nitrite-nitrate-diatoms-algae-hard algae cycles. I think you would be safer waiting for your tank to cycle with your own rock and sand. It's always possible for a harmful bacteria to be lurking in someone else's sand. Patience is always key. :)

That's just my 2 cents.

Rock set up looks awesome! I wish mine were that good. :lol:

Good luck!!

P.S. Since you're using older live rock, that is presumably healthy, you should be fine getting your cycles started.

Edited by Little_Reef

Taking sand from a more well-established tank wouldn't hurt, but it also wouldn't benefit greatly. Most likely it would just quicken the start of your ammonia-nitrite-nitrate-diatoms-algae-hard algae cycles. I think you would be safer waiting for your tank to cycle with your own rock and sand. It's always possible for a harmful bacteria to be lurking in someone else's sand. Patience is always key. :)

That's just my 2 cents.

Rock set up looks awesome! I wish mine were that good. :unsure:

Good luck!!

P.S. Since you're using older live rock, that is presumably healthy, you should be fine getting your cycles started.

Fixed cycle names.

Sorry, didn't mean to say Nitrogen.

I'd like to mix it up a little bit. This is my first saltwater tank so I am going to be trying to start with hardier, simpler things. But I would love if I could end up getting some branching stony coral to grow in my tank. Fish wise, I would like to have a few. I really like how Bangaii Cardinals look, esp. under a good light.

Thanks for the comments

Love the caves you created, they look like in nature. What are you planning on keep in the tank?....Softies, SPS, LPS or a little of everything?

I really like how Bangaii Cardinals look, esp. under a good light.

Thanks for the comments

I LOVE Bangaii 's! I had one in my tank for about 1 3/4 years before it died of a broken heater. :'(

Prettiest fish under good lighting.