Schooling Bannerfish eating tube anemone?

JEN H

My husband and I have two tube anemones in our large tank. We just put two new schooling bannerfish in the tank on Thursday night. We just noticed this evening that one of our tube anemones (the larger one) was out of its tube (or partially out) and on the other side of the tank. My husband went to put it back to the side of the tank where it was from, thinking it would reburry itself. He noticed that the bannerfish were picking at it. I had no idea that they would do this, and now I am concerned that they will do this to our other tube anemone.

For the time being, we are going to move it to our smaller tank, but has anyone heard of this happening before? We were under the assumption that a tube anemone would sting any fish. On top of that, these schooling bannerfsih are supposed to be reef safe. I just don't want our other tube anemone to get eaten as well..... I hope our other one will be o.k. He was doing so well, and growing so large....now alot of his long tentacles have been eaten off.

Thanks for the help.

My husband and I have two tube anemones in our large tank. We just put two new schooling bannerfish in the tank on Thursday night. We just noticed this evening that one of our tube anemones (the larger one) was out of its tube (or partially out) and on the other side of the tank. My husband went to put it back to the side of the tank where it was from, thinking it would reburry itself. He noticed that the bannerfish were picking at it. I had no idea that they would do this, and now I am concerned that they will do this to our other tube anemone.

For the time being, we are going to move it to our smaller tank, but has anyone heard of this happening before? We were under the assumption that a tube anemone would sting any fish. On top of that, these schooling bannerfsih are supposed to be reef safe. I just don't want our other tube anemone to get eaten as well..... I hope our other one will be o.k. He was doing so well, and growing so large....now alot of his long tentacles have been eaten off.

Thanks for the help.

never heard of it happening. my tube anemone was "on the loose" once and when exposed he was picked at by peppermint shrimp...they caused no permanent damage to him and I was able to "reset" him in his original tube (held his tail end near the opening until he slithered back in...gloved hand obviously) and has don fine ever since.

Now you know that your new fish have these tendancies it comes to the point of deciding which you'd rather keep in that tank...I'd stick with the tube anemone....but that is just me

Thanks for the reply. He was still in part of his tube, which I thought was strange. So, we just took him and put him in our smaller tank. We'll see how he looks in the morning and go from there. If need be, we will try to get him back in his original tube...

There is no butterfly fish that is truly reef-safe. There are those that are less likely to nip, but not a sure thing. I have heard of people keeping Heniochus successfully and I have heard of others who had them nip at their corals. Keep them fat and they may leave it alone, but keep a close eye on them.