Upgrading Skimmer

mcallahan

I have about 105g in my setup and am currently running an Euro Reef RS-80 skimmer which has been working great. However, I'm thinking of upgrading my skimmer as I feel it is a little under powered for my tank and am looking for suggestions for a bigger/better skimmer.

Some things that might help:

- I'm aiming for an "all reef" tank with some SPS, some LPS, a couple of 'nems with more focus on an array of zoas.

- Livestock: 1 medium foxface, false perc pair, pink spot goby, chromis, RS Cleaner wrasse (that will be gone as soon as I catch him)

- circulation - 1x Koralia #2, 2x Koralia #1, Mag 7 return pump

- Price range is <$300.

Thoughts on an upgrade?

PS, I'll be selling my RS-80 when I upgrade...

Edited by azcummins

I have the Octopus DNW-150 recirculating skimmer and have been very impressed. I think they go for about $260 currently so with shipping and tax you should still be well below the $300 mark. It is bigger than your RS80 though so make sure you have the room in your sump. I feed mine of my drain and it puts out about half a cup of skimmate a day.

I'm also thinking about a possible skimmer upgrade. I've heard a lot of good things about MSX skimmers, but also some negatives related to the Sicce pumps. I currently run a Euro Reef CS 8-1 and I think the pump is about dead on it. I have been having to continually raise the level inside by raising the pipe to get it to skim. Not sure if I want to buy a replacement pump or invest into a new skimmer.

I was thinking about getting the MSX250 but haven't made the plunge. I'm still trying to find good information / data on the cylinder versus the cone. Is it really worth the extra dollars for the cone?

I'm been looking at MSX and Warner Marine but my recent research is pointing towards a skimmer with Askoll 1500. It seems this pump has received some great reviews. I think MSX 1A offers it along with the Hurricone CAT2. It seems both skimmers are getting good reviews plus the CAT2 is like 200 dollars cheaper, so I have my eye on it right now and waiting for the K2 Warner Marine to be released to get some additional details on it.

Edited by rosslonghorns

I'm also thinking about a possible skimmer upgrade. I've heard a lot of good things about MSX skimmers, but also some negatives related to the Sicce pumps. I currently run a Euro Reef CS 8-1 and I think the pump is about dead on it. I have been having to continually raise the level inside by raising the pipe to get it to skim. Not sure if I want to buy a replacement pump or invest into a new skimmer.

My RS-80 does that when it is overly dirty. I pull it out of my sump about once a month and scrub the whole thing - inside and out down and it goes back to working great.

That is what I thought too. I've done that twice and also allowed the pump to run in a bucket of vinegar / water for 24 hours.

In order to pull skimmate consistently, I must continue to raise the water level on a recurring basis. I ended up having to even extend the pipe with regular PVC to allow me to get the water level higher.

I'm not really sure what the issue is. I've cleaned everything. The pinwheel is fully intact and made sure the airline tubing feeding the pump is cleaned. No cracks or leaks in the skimmer body. I'm just confused and frustrated!

The pump was is just over 3 years. It is the Sedra 5000. We will see as I'm about to the point to break down and buy a replacement as I don't want to dish out 600-800 bucks for a replacement skimmer.