Fish help

medi

Anyone know what my McCosker's wrasse is doing. He will act fine, swim all over the aquarium, eat fine, and then all of a sudden he seems to go limp, look terrible, and then lay in a rock for several hours. This is seeming to become a daily occurrence that will last from 20 minutes to 2 hours. I always fear the worst, but low and behold he will come swimming out like nothing was ever wrong. Any ideas??

This is what he looks like when he is in the rocks

post-698-1235092232_thumb.jpg

This is what he looks like as soon as he comes out of the rocks

post-698-1235092335_thumb.jpg

Any chance it is not eating the right type of food? Tangs are notorious for this. They will eat all the prepared foods you put in the tank and begin ignoring the algae sheets. When this happens the tang will very slowly starve to death as they are eating a food that will not support their design. I've seen tangs that were only eating mysis shrimp begin to act this way over time as their stomachs became constricted. Some fish will also develop liver issues from eating to fatty or oily of a diet.

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I am feeding Formula One Marine Pellet for omnivorous fish and frozen Fish & Reef #1 for omnivorous fish. Should I be feeding something different? Also, I have only had him for approx. 2 weeks, and this just started a couple of days ago. Is this enough time for this to happen?

Paracheilinus Mccoskeri Is usually a happier species of the Wrasse family. In my opinion, and after reading about this fish, I believe this is relatively normal for them to do. Their change in color indicates that it is not to be messed with by other territorial/aggressive fish in the tank. Not being very territorial towards other species, it can feel threatened by more aggressive fish in your tank.

As for the environment of this fish, it is good to have many hiding places for the fish to go into while resting.

If you have only had him within a few weeks, it is normal for him to be shy until he adjusts to all of his new surroundings.

If you have another male Paracheilinus Mccoskeri, and they were NOT introduced to the tank at the same time, it is highly likely for this fish to feel threatened by the older tank mate.

Research this fish and learn more about it's natural habitat in the Indo-Pacific region.

Good luck! I hope I helped in some way. :(

Edited by Little_Reef

Paracheilinus Mccoskeri Is usually a happier species of the Wrasse family. In my opinion, and after reading about this fish, I believe this is relatively normal for them to do. Their change in color indicates that it is not to be messed with by other territorial/aggressive fish in the tank. Not being very territorial towards other species, it can feel threatened by more aggressive fish in your tank.

As for the environment of this fish, it is good to have many hiding places for the fish to go into while resting.

If you have only had him within a few weeks, it is normal for him to be shy until he adjusts to all of his new surroundings.

If you have another male Paracheilinus Mccoskeri, and they were NOT introduced to the tank at the same time, it is highly likely for this fish to feel threatened by the older tank mate.

Research this fish and learn more about it's natural habitat in the Indo-Pacific region.

Good luck! I hope I helped in some way. :(

Edited it above. :)

Edited by Little_Reef

Being from the Indo-Pacific region there is a slight chance it was caught using cyanide. Let's hope that is not the case as it is a gorgeous wrasse.

I guess it all depends on who the LFS (Assuming that's where he got it) ordered it from.