Macro lens help

AndrewT

I have a 70-300 mm i believe but im having trouble getting some of the real close shots ive seen. Im trying to get in on the polyps on my sps but no luck. Is this lens good or do i need something higher? Im still new to the photography thing so forgive for the very vague refrences

Usually a zoom lens like that needs to be several feet from your subject in order to get it in focus. Thus you lose the ability to shoot a good close up. What you need is a good fixed length macro lens. A 100mm macro would be perfect... and very expensive. HTH.

I have a 70-300 mm i believe but im having trouble getting some of the real close shots ive seen. Im trying to get in on the polyps on my sps but no luck. Is this lens good or do i need something higher? Im still new to the photography thing so forgive for the very vague refrences

It depends on the lens. Some have shorter minimum focus distances than others. There are 3 options. 1. move farther from the subject. 2. get a dedicated macro lens. 3. use extension tubes.

Getting a macro lens will be the most expensive solution but will give the best result. Extension tubes move the focal point closer to the camera but at a cost - lens speed.