I thank I have dino

razataz

I taught it was diatoms let it go for 5 weeks. just kept getting worse. Went without lights for 4 days in hope of killing .Turn lights back on 2 days latter it returned slowly . Vacuumed up all the sand it is on did not help still coming back.its has been 7 weeks now. I read the only way to get rid of it is to rise ph. Do I have to rise with kalk thats a scary thought for a newbie. the tank is a 20gal long with 10 gallon sump. tank has been set up in my house for 5 months. It was a established tank I bought used before that. Went through small cycle when moved to my house.

post-440-1235001370_thumb.jpgpost-440-1235001404_thumb.jpg

I get outbreaks of this once in a while...usually when a fish dies. I've got two K4's in my tank and 1 nano K aiming at something that doesn't get enough flow. I see stuff moving all over, but this stuff still settles and bubbles stick to it.

Dena

:D

2 k1 there a lot of flow.

Hello I just got over a cyano bloom so I thought I would share my experience with you. At first I suspected too many nutrients, so I asked the forum how to deal with it. I slowed down my feeding thinking that would help but all it did was piss off the coral. Then I lowered the light cycle from 12 on 12 off to 8 on 16 off. Then left them off for an entire day. Granted the cyano began to fade, then came back rapidly. It was like a starved dog that was finally fed. Then I noticed that there was not as much flow in the regions where the cyano was. It was growing next to the rocks and on the back sides of the tank; basically any where the rocks blocked the current is where it grew. I was running one koralia 1 and a penguin 660 in a 20g long tank. I siphoned the cyono when I did the water changes and redirected my flow to where the cyano would stay limited to one area. After about a week, the cyano was gone and it had starved itself to death in its little corner of the tank. MUAHAHAHAH!!!!!

• 3 months later...

I still have this stuff been running carbon since the Mannings suggested Flow has no effect on it,it grows in the most flow area in front of tank. Where there is little flow it does not grow.I bought a used tds meter yesterday. It shows my water from the lfs is 76 tds Not going to say wich one.I have been using it for top off and salt mix. Will this be my problem. I'm getting green hair algae now also. I wonder how long thier tds has been this way?

Eep. Yes, a TDS of 76 would definitely contribute to cyno and green hair algae. You preferably want the TDS as close to zero as you can get it before you mix the water with salt.

Start using some different water, and continue to watch the nutrients you add to the tank (excess light, excess food, etc), and you should start getting things to turn around.

If its cyano that's A good deal because I though it was Dinoflagelates. I thought cyano was slimey looking like reddish snought.

this stuff is dark brown wet hair looking.

Cyanobacteria has more different forms than are imaginable. Ever notice a pinkish discoloration in your sinks or shower? One guess...

I just am getting rid of some of it that started in our new 65g tank. We expected it, but it is still annoying to deal with. And like you, it showed up in a area of at least moderate flow. It is feeding on light, nitrate, and phosphates in the water. Have to lower all three to get rid of it for good.

Even then, it will probably come back to visit sooner or later.

-Paul

Fighting the same thing in my tank right now. The only problem is that I am in Iraq and the wife is doing all the work. I plan on starting to dose VSV when I get home in a couple of weeks. Good Luck! Just placed a big order from Bulk Reef Suply to get over it. I hope!!!