Clown Suicide

Janet

My brother has a tank that had a mated pair of clowns (percula) in it. Yesterday he found the male outside the tank it had apparently jumped. So my question is will the female allow another male to enter the domain and will she mate again with a different male, and can you cross the types. Like a dark male or other type of clown?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, I will relate that to him. But, would she mate with another percula male?

Maybe - Just because you put a male and female together does not mean they will become a pair. My guess is if you put another male in right away she will know it is not her 'mate' and will not be friendly with it. With a little time, perhaps weeks? before another male is introduced this might work. Were it me I would try to sell the female or make her part of a trade for a known pair or two very small clowns who are hopefully both male still. JMO

Bill

• Like 1

I think it to be more of a 50 50 chance, but doubt she will mate again with any other clown any time soon. If you have had the clown for a long time already, I would keep her. And hope that later she would gain interest in another clown you might put in the tank.

• Like 1

I had a gsm maroon pair that bred for years. the female was much larger, it seemed like the male didnt grow at all and the female was growing fast.the female died.I introduced another gsm clown much smaller than the male I still had. the male wouldnt let the new tiny fish come out in the open w/o harrasing it for about three weeks. It was pretty sad. the new fish would just hide out all day stuck in a corner.Then they were paired up one morning and are still a pair to this day years later. the existing male became the female and the new one the male. the new one is only slifgtly larger than the day I got him while the previous male put on a super fast growth spurt. they are now in the possession of aggman because they kept knocking my corals over .very very strong willed fish.

158.jpg

• Like 1